Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best time for step 3. -
confused!

Hi everyone!I have some basic qs reg step 3...sorry if i sound dumb...plz help me out!
I am an IMG done with my step 1 n step 2...waiting for step 2 result...giving my CS in sep...planning for 2005 match...need a H1...when is the best time to give step 3.?
2.also,we need to have our ECFMG certificate at the time we apply,right?considering that i may get my ecfmg certificate sometime around nov(the CS result not expected until oct),is that the earliest i can apply for step 3?
3.also,didnt quite understand the eligibility req..of MD or DO?plz clarify!
confused

also,one more thing..since i still need to apply for residency...can i send in a gen appl..or do i need to select any state?
Laura the Aussie

You muust have ecfmg certification before you can sit step 3. You have to sit the exam "through a state" but that does not have to be the state where the testing centre is that you take the exam and it also does not have to be the state where you are practising, intend to practice or want to get your license in. It took me some time to accept that this apparently ridiculous set of rules were in fact true!
Laura the Aussie

sorry, you must have ecfmg certification before you apply. I can't answer any of your other questions sorry.
gp

thank u very much Laura!n abt this state thing,apparently only a few states allow ppl to write step 3 without joining residency...i was looking for the req odf diff states at fsmb.org...couldnt quite get them...can anyone help me reg this?thanks in advance!
Laura

I have seen a table of all these things and I am sure it was an official site. Either FSMB or ECFMG/NBME because they are the only two places I have looked. I will look again and post if I find it.
Laura

Go to the FSMB website. Choose USMLE on the side menu bar and then Step 3 from the drop down box. Then click on Step 3 application materials. Then on that page you can click on State specific requirements and the chart will come up of all the states.
asdf

Why don't you choose Conneticutt? Most IMG apply there and didn't face any difficulty at all. Make sure to include all listed documents and sent them to FSMB in Texas.

For residency app, you go thru' ERAS. Can get token from OASIS.
Good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »