Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
name..on usmle application - parveen
hi guys,

I need ur help. My name is Sharma sunil kartarkumar on my passport.
Kartar is my father's name
On mle application they have asked as......first, middle and last names
Now I m perplexed.........where to put my surname sharma. ..............

It is my last name but usmle guys read it as first name ......i talked to them ..they suggested me to put sharma as a first name, sunil as middle name and kartarkumar as last name but they themselves r not sure about it............

urgent please..........any input will be highly appreciated.

thanks a lot in advance.
Hi
Follow the passport name for the Usmle application( I mean write surname as last name and given name as first name.) If your degree doesnt have the same order of the name then you can get a letter from your college which states that both the names belong to the same person.I had a similar error so first i wrote my name as it is supposed tobe , then i changed it according to the passport and mailed them the passport copy. They accepted the change.
I hope this clears your doubt!! good luck
Dear Friend,

In USMLE applications you have to write ur name as in a national i.d i.e your Passport. Your name in ur degree may differ from ur name in ur passport, like usually passport will have complete name including ur full surname(last name according to USA ) but ur name on degree may not have full surname instead have a initial, but u should write ur name in usmle application as according to ur passport. If your name on diploma is different from ur name in passport, take a letter from ur principal of your medical college and send this original letter ( if possible get an extra copy of original letter from ur principal for your documentation ) along with ur application. Frankly u need not send the original letter of ur name confirmation, instead get a xerox copy of it and get it notorised ( public notory) and send it along with ur application.

In this letter the content should be,

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN ( UNDERLINED AS HEADING )

This is to certify that Dr. Sharma Sunil Kartharkumar completed his M.B.B.S ( ur medical degree title ) in Jarkhand medical college, your city, Jarkhand ( foryour state, your country from April 1998 to June 2002 ( for example ). He completed his compulsory rotatory internship ( housesurgeoncy etc) in ------------ hospital during ...... to .......( months, year to month year )
I certify that the name Sharma Sunil K ( as it appears on the medical diploma of the applicant ) and Sharma Sunil Kartharkumar belong to one and the same person.

Applicant's Given/Rest of the name is Sharma Sunil
Applicant's Surname/Last name is Kartharkumar

signature of Principal
Jarkhand medical college

Now, note that

If you have a long name then ,

first name ( Sharma ) middle name ( Sunil ) Last name/surname ( Kartharkumar )

like this can be written, but

in your case u should better write as,

Sharma Sunil ( first name, as it fits in first name letters of ur application. if these two words doesnt fit then seperate them as first and middle, else let it be as first name)

Kartharkumar ( last name or surname )

that means no middle name for you.

But if you have some thing like

Sharma Sunil Prasad Kartharkumar, then i dont think the first three words wont fit in ur first name so u have to split as Sharma Sunil as ur first name and Prasad as ur middle and Kartharkumar as ur last name.

Thats it brother, God bless you, GL. Everyone who has this name problem can take this advise if u guys think is helpful, bye.
any doubts leave me a msg, bye.
Dear Cytp 450................thanks a lot for this valuable information.

About medical college principal, I tried my best but he is not ready to issue me such letter. Rather he ripped apart my request letter.........thats why i had to change my name acc to my medical diploma......i have been struggling for this since march 2008. This yr my wife got residency there....i m in great problem.........

anyway........so u say...sharma sunil should be first name

Name on first page of my passport is First sunil
middle kumar
surname sharma

then i changed my name acco to my medical diploma ...so name on 2nd page of passport is

sharma sunil kartarkumar
it has not been differentiated as first, middle and last.

hence passport also says that sharma is my surname....so is it ok to mention sharma as my first name on my application

I know its very confusing but i really need u guys help......
I highly appreciate ur help.
once again cytp..thanks a million.

take care

Hey friend, leave me ur queries at my email, gdy4you at gmail.com i will help u. I mean u can mention more of your details comfortble at my email if you feel.

Once again, remember they will ask you to submit a letter from your principal asking to clarify your name as in ur passport ( which is the one ECFMG will confirm finally, this name in ur passport is ur legal name, no name else matters, so know this first it is important, read USMLE BULLETIN AND ECFMG BULLETIN u will get more details too ) so they will ask your college that the name u mentioned to them in application is correct or not. Since u could not submit that letter before submitting ur usmle application, also contact ecfmg for their advise. I also know that if you can arrange an Affidavit or PUBLIC NOTARY from a lawyer at ur place they will mention in that Notary that ...... ...... ...... name of yours is ur legal name ( as in passport ) and that it is the same name in ur medical diploma. Better to take your parents or some elders or some professor u know who can talkwit ur principal to issue a letter which will solve ur problem.

I got confused with your details above, let me repeat in brief:

the name mentioned in ur passport is legal name and is what accepted by ECFMG or during VISA no other name matters.

Now, if your name " sharma " is ur surname as in PASSPORT, keep it as your surname in ur application,

rest of the name give in passport should be the same in ur application.

As far as i know in passport they wont mention First, middle and last names instead they may have surname/last name and given name/rest of the name.

If you write sharma as ur surname because it is what mentioned in passport, it is fine.

then you can write remaining name in ur first name area if it fits, if even a single alphabet of ur remaining name doesnt fit in ur first name area of application( usmle ) then better divide ur remaining name into first name and middle name.

Also if in passport it is clearly mentioned that you have a First name, Middle name and Last/surname , write according to passport.

first of all i didnt get ur point what is the difference with ur name in ur passport and in medical diploma???? why r u worrying a lot, i dont konw. Usually in degree they wont mention ur first,last,middle names, right?? Please email me at gdy4you if you are not comfortable leaving ur details here, i will try to help u with more details. God bless you, GL. eeveything will be fine.

Bye.
HI i read ur msgs again, i understood this,

ur name in ur passport is : SUNIL KUMAR SHARMA ( right???? )

( what happened to kartar ?? )

or is it SUNIL KARTARKUMAR SHARMA??

ur name in ur medical diploma is : SHARMA SUNIL KARTARKUMAR

my Questions:

1) did ur college mentioned " ur surname particularly? what exactly is your name on ur medical diploma, please mention clearly here or to my email at ur convenience.

2) what exactly is your name in ur passport ( this is ur legal name accepted by ECFMG )

PLEASE NOTE:
in my first message i just mentioned ur name to fill the letter u should be typing to get it from principal. I just assumed, i didnt mention that u should mention ur name as i mentioned there. But now that u got confused, if i know ur names clearly i can help u. dnt worry. As one of ur friend replied, if u write ur name as in ur passport and attach ur passport xerox copy notorised by a lawyer ECFMG will accept. Only if they doubt ur name in any way then they will contact ur medical college then u can approach them. Hope i am clear. Else send me an invitation on googletalk at my email i.d " gdy4you " i can talk to you if i see u online in googletalk.. I live in USA so timings should be noted.
regarding ecfmg if all the alphabets of my passport name are capital.. in the application i will write the name as passport or the first alphabet is only capital and the rest are small
Download USMLE Step 1 Lecture Notes 2018 PDF – Kaplan Lecture Notes Free From this website
https://arslanlibrary.com/usmle-step-1-l...ure-notes/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »