Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 year old grad, with average scores-matched! - gostep2ck
hey all,
if someone is beginning to lose heart due to this process....cheer up folks...after all...anything is possible. i am a fmg, graduated almost 15 years ago, worked for in public health for next 13 years and got a mph degree from US....had a change in plans....started studying for usmle...in a span of 2 years i gave my step 1, 2ck and 2 cs....passed all in first attempt with average scores....got 4 IV's and found out that i matched in peds.
my 2 cents of unsolicited advise to peps here:
1. anything is possible if you make your mind up and have faith in yourself.
2. do your best, and don't compare yourself to others (i never had 99,99). everyone has a USP (unique selling point) and find your USP and sell it well.
3. nurture and develop good interpersonal skills (can't emphasize much on this point...a lot of programs screen off candidates based on their interpersonal skills)
4. develop a good application (strong CV, strong letters (i do think that US LOR's make a difference), strong PS (people read it...believe me!))
5. and come up with a strategy where you will have greatest odds to succeed.

Over and above all the points mentioned above....have unflappable trust in your god.....there are some things that only god can do.....

when humans reach their limit...god takes over....

hopefully, my 2 cents of advise will help some of the folks here and we will see more success stories.

i think i have earned the rights to graduate to step 3 forum now...so i have sit tight to finish my step 3 before i start my residency.

if you want to contact me >>> greeneyedlookin3

good luck all
Hi gostep2ck,

Congrats to you. Thank you for your encouragement and advice. I am an even older fmg than you. I didn't match this year with only one IV. I feel I have problem with my PS.
Congrats.Thats truly inspiring.Do you mind sharing which part of the US,you matched?
hey gotodream...maybe i can help you with your PS....shoot me an email if you need some help.

Benten: i don't know where i matched....will find that out on thursday
Me, 19 yr graduate, way below average scores, CS atttttempts, 2 IVs...
MATCHED.
hello gostep2ck,

congratulation!

Pls help me how to write the strong PS...I am also old IMG >10yrs..
thzs...
my mail is livelyimage
Ok, that is encourging, but here is another one, a friend of mine who graduated 20 years ago matched last year, rare but possible.
Right place at the right time.....
40 year old grad with 2 fail in each step. matched in harvard.
how can program set screening for interpersonal skills w/o iv, could you explain more about it?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »