Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guys I need advice please - mleer01
I am an IMG who has an option of coming to USA and prepare for my steps. In the meantime I can do observership which is gonna be good for my resume.

Some people are advising me to first stay in my country for 1 year and take both steps and then go to US for observership as I will not have enough time to prepare for my steps and do observership at the same time.

Some people are advising me to go to US and do observership and prepare for my steps at the same time. I can have enough time to prepare for steps even if I do observership.

Please guide as you guys have actually gone through this process

Thanks

i would suggest that you stay in your home country and prepare and take step 1 and 2... then come to the US for your step 2 cs and do observerships. i don't think you will have enough time to study while doing observerships because you will be in the hospital on rounds from morning to night... i don't know how you'll be able to find time, i say this from personal experience.... definately get your step1 and 2ck out of the way before you think of anything else..
hope this helps, GL
Cheers endo01 for such a sincere advice. I simply love this forum. Any other suggestions please???
its upto u watever u are comfortable with ... bottom line is u dont want to s***w ur board results....
i was in US when i took my steps and later did my externship after my exams ... but all upto u ...if u think u can manage both steps and ur clinical experience together go for it .....
endo101 is right ob'ship usually is from morning till evenings and it might drain u... it depends on how hectic ur life wud be during observership.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. Anybody else please
if you want to score high stay at home do steps plus some clinical experience to put on CAF.
Thanks
take your USMLE scores very seriously. They are the most important thing. Don't mix preps with something else. Work very very hard.
& Observerships have become outdated. The new in thing is Externships which give hands on experience. Go for them.
Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »