Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 58-year-old, obese. Caucasian male presents to - thrombolyser
the emergency department immediately after a motor vehicle accident in which he was a restrained passenger. His medical history is significant for diabetes mellitus type 2, hypertension, gastroesophageal reflux disease, erectile dysfunction, and gout. His current medications include metformin, rosiglitazone, lisinopril, and omeprazole. He drinks 1-2 beers daily and denies the use of tobacco or recreational drugs. His temperature is 36.9 C (98.4 F), blood pressure is 134/88 mmHg, pulse is 86/min, and respirations are 15/min. Normal S1 and S2 heart sounds are present with no murmurs or rubs. The lung fields are clear. The abdomen is obese, nontender and nondistended: bowel sounds are present. Brown stool in the rectal vault is guaiac negative. The rectal sphincter tone is normal. There is no evidence of clubbing, cyanosis, or edema in the extremities. Dorsalis pedis and posterior tibial pulses are present and equal bilaterally. On neurologic exam, the patient is awake, alert, and oriented. Cranial nerves II-XII are intact. Motor strength is 5/5 in all extremities. Finger to nose cerebellar exam is well done. Reflexes are 1+ at the ankles and 2+ at the knees, biceps, and triceps. The cremasteric reflex is absent. Sensation is intact throughout, except for a bilateral symmetric reduction in perception of vibration, pain, and temperature in both feet and hands. Plantar flexion and dorsiflexion are normal. Ambulation is normal, and the Romberg sign is negative. What is the most likely etiology of this individualâ„¢s absent cremasteric reflex?

A. Cauda equina syndrome
B. Injury to the spinal cord at L1-L2
C. Injury to the spinal cord at L5-S2
D. Injury to the spinal cord at S2-S4
E. Diabetic neuropathy
B i think
The cremasteric reflex is regulated at the L1-L2 level of the spinal cord. This reflex can be diminished or lost secondary to diabetic autonomic neuropathy
thrombo.....agreed
cremesteric reflex loss+B/L symetric loss of sensation of hands&feet,
only diabetes can explain it among options given.
omg long question.. i'm discouraged before starting.

coz his intact reflexes and sensations rule out the others?!!

so its e
So thrombolyser answer is e right?
thanx, Good question.
thrombolyser!
You motivate the forum in various ways. I am sure you will get high score.
I wish you all the best!!
well but the prob started immed after the accident... so may b injury is the cause...? is that of no importance..?
wats correct answer thrombo...
i think diabetes neuropathy....

L2---knee reflex absent

s1--planter flexion absent....

i think anal sphinter is innervated by s4-5

and pt predominantl have distal sensory involvement IN BOTH HAND AND FEET with out motor....typical of DM...sensory precedes motor....

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »