Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 Major help needed - mazvis
Hello, I am a medical student from Europe, asking for advice. I am currently in my 2nd year of medical school ( out of a 6 year total course). I am planning on taking the USMLE steps to become a resident in the US. Certain things are unclear to me and I really couldn't search through all of 1000+ pages if forums to get all of my questions answered. I would be very glad if someone could help me...

Firstly, what books would you recommend to me for studying? And I don't mean books for USMLE exams only, I mean books for studying medicine. I would like to know what kind of books are people in the US actually using for studying/preparing for USMLE and if those are different. (I would order those books on amazon.com and study in my home country) What other methods of learning would you recommend?

Next, I've read that the best time to take the STEP 1 exam before switching to clinical studies (after finishing year 3 in my case). Is that true and when would you recommend me taking it? Is it possible to take it while still in med-school?

Is Step 1 overall hard for an international student (english not being my first language), what else would you recommend me on my preparation?

Well, for a start I would like these questions answered, I would especially be grateful if someone could provide me with a list of best books I should get for USMLE step 1.
yes you can take step 1 while you're a student.and your english sounds good,i don't think you'd face any problems regarding your language.
step 1 materials:
kaplan notes for all courses except for pathology which is Goljan Rapid Review.+
Goljan Audio lectures.
First Aid for reviewing all read materials.
USMLE WORLD and Kaplan Q banks.
NBME tests.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »