Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help on preliminary IM programs -
residenttobe

please share information/experiences on applications to preliminary PGY1 programs. any information is welcome.
WifeofIMG

From your post on 4/1/04, I gather that you are interested in Neurology. If you look at the data from the match, IMGs have a 10% chance of getting into Preliminary or Transitional Medicine. I would suggest that you apply to intergrated Neurology programs, where they will provide you a first year slot. The higher your score, the better chance you have to match in any program. Good luck!
residenttobe

thanks for the info. do you know any fmg who matched for neurology? if so, where? thanks.
WifeofIMG

According to 2004 Neurology Match results, 657 IMGs registered for the Neurology Match, 354 IMGs submitted ROL, and 180 IMGs matched. The average USMLE score for those who matched was 220. US med students matched at 96% (314).
My husband didn't match. He doesn't have a background in Neurology, but we were told that it is easier to get into because US med students don't want to go into Neurology. My husband did non-clinical observership in Neurology and got US LoR, but nothing. He is an old graduate with low USMLE scores.
I personally don't know of any IMG who was able to get into Neurology this year. In order to suceed you need high scores, recent graduate, and a GC to boot can't hurt. Good luck!
residenttobe

thanks so much. may I know where you got this info? please email me if you can. residenttobe.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »