Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitochondrai /RBC - ic
Hello

I have one query. Please help me as I am a bit confused.

I understood that RBC don't have mitochondria. So RBC can't go to TCA. This is what I recalled from Kaplan Biochem.

While I was doing Goljan lecutre on RBC pathology now, it said that RBC have mitochondria. In sideroblastic diseases, iron enter mitochondria, but because of alcohol or b6 or whatsoever, heme can't be made and iron can't exit the mitochondria. That's the reason we see sideroblastic rings (iron deposit) in RBC.

Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks

The sideroblastic anemias are a heterogeneous group of disorders with two common features: ring sideroblasts in the bone marrow (abnormal normoblasts with excessive accumulation of iron in the mitochondria) and impaired heme biosynthesis.

Mitochondria are the source of the oxidative phosphorylation that provides most of the ATP used by eukaryotic cells. The mature erythrocyte is the sole mammalian cell that lacks mitochondria and relies totally on glycolysis as an energy source. Most cells contain between 100 and 300 mitochondria (Jaussi, 1995). Mitochondria are semi-autonomous organelles that likely began as freestanding prokaryotes that invaded eukaryotic cells more than a billion years ago (Jansen, 2000). A symbiotic relationship eventually developed between these prokaryotic cells and their eukaryotic hosts. The former prokaryotes lost the capacity for independent existence but became indispensible to the eukaryotic cells.

The bone marrow aspirate from a patient with sideroblastic anemia stained with Perl's Prussian blue indicates a normoblast with a greenish halo of material stained by Perl's Prussian blue surrounding the nucleus. Electron microscopic examination would show these to be iron-laden mitochondria.

Drpardha

Thanks for your reply. You are also saying that RBC have mitochondria- then my query is why mitochondria do not go for TCA if they have mitochondria. The reason for this is that RBC do not have mitochondria.

So RBC have mitochondia or not?

Thanks
mature RBCs don't have it. immature RBCs (with nucleus) have mitorchondria.
In the bone marrow, erythroblasts and reticulocytes that still contain mitochondria, whereas circulating erythrocytes lack mitochondria
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »