Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To danille - min
Hi danille,
I am very impressived by you as you are still here to help everyone. I just start to prep cs with my friend. We found it's very hard to finish taking history and pn omtime(we only practiced these two parts so far). Can you please tell me how you prepared for cs. Thank you so much.
Min
In the real exam, I started write the mneumonics: LIQAAAR PAMHUGSFOSS vertically, shortly after I heard the annoucement that we could start. Then I spent extra time on the last A, which is associated symptoms. I wrote what I was supposed to ask in a way that only me could understand, just to remind me of what should I ask. For example, write D/C, N/v for diarrhea/constipation, Nausea/vomiting. etc. If you practise enough, you will know how to raise a series of Qs concerning about the system that is involved.

I practised about 10 cases in timed mode with my husband. Then I practised by myself using this written pattern, since he was very busy. And it worked. I agree with digital doc that you have to develop your own protocol, and follow it. In another words, form your own habbit and stick to it. Actually, when you cover all the aspect mentioned in the mneumonic LIQAAAR PAMHUGSFOSS, believe me, you cover most of the SP's checklist.

Spend as much time as you need outside the examination room to clear your thought. It is not a waste of time. It will make you feel more confident when you enter the room and face the standardized patient.

I used FA and UW as my only sources for the prep. They are wonderful materials.

Good luck. CS shouldn't be an exam hard to pass. EVERYONE that I know passed the exam on first attempt. Haven't heard of anybody who didn't personally.
Thanks danille for the detailed info. It's very helpful. One more qs, how did you practice pn. It's hard to finish pn writing within 10 min.
I didn't have problems finishing PN writings in all my cases. I used the pattern taught in Kaplan courses: don't write a whole paragraph, write in simple sentences, one at a time. For example:

C.C.: 46 yo male c/o "abdominal pain" ( I always quoted the patient's chief complain)
- onset 6 hours ago
-progress gradually
-7/10
-worsen on...
-allievated by...
etc.

This way, you can write in two columns, and avoid making massive grammer mistakes. I can type really fast, but typing is not easy to write in two columns, you have to move the cursor all the time.

And if you do PN this way, you will have no problem at all in case of spaces and finishing the writing in time.

I didn't take Kaplan course in person. My brother-in-law did. And he relayed this information to me. Very helpful indeed.

FA is a very good tool in practising PN writings. I wrote about 25 PNs by myself before I gained enough confidence. I always had time to proof read my PNs in the real exam except one case, which I just got to finish it in time.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a big help. I am a slow writer and always take 13-16 minutes to finish a pn. I would like to try the way you used. Your experience also enhanced my confidence. Thank you so much again. Good luck to your match.
Danille, could u please tell me full form of
LIQAAAR PAMHUGSFOSS

thnx
Hi danille, I just took CS and am very worried because I think I messed up with diagnosis in 2 cases.And in some cases I missed doing some part of PE or missed some Qs.
I wrote PN like given in FA so it filled up the whole space and I has to squeeze in some words here & there.I'm so scared !!!!
I heard someone who made complete mistakes in D.Ds still passed. For the PN, as long as you wrote inside the box, it will be fine. Everything inside the box will be scanned. I think you will pass. Some of my friend told me PN accounts for a small part of the exam. If you did wrap up in most of your cases, you will be safe. Good luck.

Gedibazz, the mneumonics are in every step 2CS book. Go take a look. You won't miss them. It's been a while since I took my exam, I don't want to give you an incomplete list. Good luck.
Thanks danille
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »