Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how imp is dean's letter/MSPE - pemphigus
How imp is it for IMG's?
What if I cannot submit either of them. I graduated 10yrs ago and now it is almost impossible to get them. I do have internship completion certificate and clerkship certificate, will these documents suffice for Dean's/MSPE?
What shd I mark on CAF?
If you are not able to provide a deans letter then indicate this in page 12 of your caf. ERAS would fill that slot with a document stating as much...how important it is is difficult to answer but i guess you would have seen many program websites stating it as a requirement for application review, in fact most do.

Uh...i think i failed to help you...but this is it.
This whole dean's letter/MSPE is really freaking me out... I graduated, well, 12 years ago, and hard to get this kind of thing. Dean was replaced so many times already, I guess. Isn't ECFMG acting as IMG's "Dean's office", so why can't they provide something???
I am in the same situation. I graduated almost 14 years ago and I have no clue how I am gonna get it. ECFMG cannot provide it because this document will tell about your behavior during your Med school - relationship with your classmates, your dedication, etc. As far as I know, it is a very biased document because every dean writes that everyone of their students is in the "top ten" in the school and everybody was a stellar student. There is nothing objective on that (maybe I am wrong but that is my impression). I will try to contact my dean this week (which will not be an easy task, I can tell...) and ask him if there is ANY type of document that could be filled out based on my old records, just for me to have something to send. I don't know if it will work but I will try.
Even if you graduated many years ago,the current dean in your med school is able to search in their archives and see how you studied(based on your marks on exams and the appreciation in the archives).BUT the dean's letter is not a compulsory document.
ecrouch I totally agree with you that the dean can search the archives and write a letter, but when it comes to my school, the question will be, why in the world would the dean at my school do so? I have read the guidelines for the MSPE and I can form one myself given the performance level of others. But who would do it outside of US? Dean's letter is not compulsory, but what about MSPE? Its not merely a dean's letter.
Friends...I understand your situations. And it may not be easy to get this thing after 10-14 years of graduation because I dont believe any college would be keeping data beyond a 10 year period...my school doesnt. But I would suggest that you definitely talk to your current dean... approach them with optimism...be polite....if you are respectful, polite etc etc...they would help you. Big people are not necessary there to trouble us: some may prove more helpful than you expect.

Good luck.
Thx for the inputs everybody.
Don't know what can be done. The college does have the records but the staff does not have the enthusiasm to dig in to 10 yr old registers.
If you are unable to provide an original MSPE, you must indicate this on Page 12 of your Common Application Form (CAF) - MyERAS Application. A neutral filler letter will be provided in place of a MSPE. The filler letter will be provided to all of the programs to which you apply, and will state, "This is in lieu of a MSPE." This will ensure that your application will appear as complete, for those programs that require a MSPE before considering your application.

This is from eras web. information. I hope it'll help.
my situationis same even worse as I graduated more than 20 years ago and now I am trying to get the MSPE and any body can help me what should be the content of MSPE letter.
ss
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »