Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
img pathology applicants - pathdoc
bunny,

you did not encourage me at all. what you said is truth. i have a neighbor from egypt and my classmate in their 6th year of path residency/fellowship. both of them have difficulty to find a job. both of them ask me to chose family medicine.
my 2 cents, i am not surprised at all if the trend of
i am sorry to mess up the computer, start again.
i am not surprised at all if one day the attractiveness of pathology is sliding down due to whatever reason. i personally have been trained in pathology but don't like pathology very much. the reason i think pathology is becoming competitive in these a couple of years is not because of change of nature of pathology or increase of salary in this field, is rather due to the change of flow of amg's interest. i agree with the point that pathology is great field and very essential for medicine but working as pathologist for a life is really a commitment. the reason i feel it is boring because it really lack communication and diversity of medicine, plus pathologists will never be a high paid profession unless you like to work long hours with heavy load. if i have to choose between fm and pathology, i will go with family practice. this is just my personal thought and don't mean to discourage any one interesting in pathology
Angelboy, I respect your opinion and I agree that path is not for everyone. Like everything else, you need to have the right personality for it and be interested in it. Otherwise those hours sitting in front of a microscope can really become tedious. My only question for you is: have you ever actually worked as an internist or FP? If you think pathologists have to work hard for long hours to make a living, just ask those guys. They'll tell you what long hours are. FP and IM are hardcore jobs, with loads of stress and frequent calls, especially inpatient IM. You really can't compare sitting in your comfortable chair, listening to some music, going over slides with what they do. It's a totally different ball game. I've done medicine, and now I'm doing path, and I think it's a joke to compare the two specialties (FM is not very different, and in my opinion slightly worse, cause you have to deal w/ kids and obgyn). As I said, I respect your opinion, and I'm not saying this is your case, but every single time to this day I've seen people advising others to do FM/IM, the advice came from someone who's never worked as a clinician and has no idea what clinical medicine is in the real world.
bunny,
are you in Umass program? I think I met you somwhere during interview
pathdoc, it is interesting to discuss the issue what would be the best for a career. firstly to answer your question, i do have experienced both FM/IM in very top but extremely busy hosptials in us. There is no doubt that FM/IM is much, much more busy than path. but i think you should look more further. what you are experiencing and having such a fun time is just when you are a path resident at a training process. i bet you will tell me different after you finish residency and have to work on your own for years, especially if you will have to work in a private clinic. At mean while, i also bet people may also tell different after they finish FM/IM residency and start practicing on their own. as you said, it is not compariable between path and other clinical specialities, simply because of the different nature. in my med school, path is considered as a part of basic science not clinics. as i have been a clinician for 7 years in my home country, i know exactly what brings me more satisfaction, challenge and joy, and more importantly, what motivates me everyday.
I did surgery. I would rather give up medicine than do it again. Surgery is a great field, but not for me. angelboy is absolutly right about FP/IM, if you like it - go for it.
To all pathology applicants: Ok, this is a pathology discussion, so go to the salary.com and compare salaries for pathology and FP/IM(no fellowship)..... one more plus on a pathology side.
to harvard: I didn't like Boston. I'm on a southern side.
Hi bunny,

I did see your response to amygdala on Baystate/Tufts. Why do you call Springfield a hellish place? Is it awful to spend 4 yrs of residency there? Forget about the place .... tell me about the training...... is it a decent program and do they train adequately for an academic career?

Since you are in the southern region you must be familiar with the programs there. I prefer the southern region .... can you suggest some decent programs there. I have applied to some but may have missed some key programs ....... since there is still time, I can add on to it.
hi pygmalion, do you have a call from Baystate too?
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcpt/education/...career.pdf

See above presentation as "Pathology as a career".

ycl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »