Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my exam experience - mehak80
hi
cant believe i am over with my step1 exam. i had my exam today. i reached the centre at 7.30am and i started at 7.45am. regarding the people and the environment there, everything was very good. my exam had a lot of pathology, neuroanatomy and physiology. and if i say it topic wise i think 50% of the paper was diabetes, MI, and motor vehicle injuries and cts and mri.
anatomy as i told was mainly neuroanat. lot of CT and MRI and angiograms. some of them were easy, and some tough. i think kaplan and high yield neuroanat are sufficient for these.
physio ... many graphs. renal and endocrine was tested most.
there were qs from ANS also
biochem...my weak area was thankfully easy. mostly rate limiting enzymes , insulin- glucagon world, enzyme defeciencies.
molecular biology ws the toughest part for me. there were qs i had no clue. i cant even remember the qs properly now. some were ok too like anticipation, hardy weinberg calculation, and simple punnet square calculations.
pathology....know diabetes and MI well.lot of pictures and slides. hemat was easy. so was respi.
micro... was not tested much. most of it was bacteriology and mycology.
pharma.... easy.mostly MOA and resistance. antiviral and chemotherapy drugr tested heavily.
behaviour science... mostly doctor patient relationship. and mostly weird. i wasnt sure of most of them. there were few qs on personality disorders and defense machanisms also.
stats.... most of it was simple calculations but i didnot get few of them. mostly sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV. confidence intervals, type of study.
immunology...mostly interleukins. not tested much though.
overall i think 40%the exam is path, 20- 25% physio, 10% anat and rest the others.
ok guys it is of some help. please feel free to ask anything. i will glad if i can be of any help to anybody.
its a great forum. people are very helping. some of you are so extremely good that i think you are reday to break all usmle records. wishing everybody all the best for the exam and always. may God bless everyone.
mehak
thanks for sharing your experience, all the best to your score!
all the best for great score
gl
thx u for sharing ur experience.
pls tell us about ur preparation....& some advice...
gl for g8 score
Thanks very much.if you find time, Any advice is appreciated. thanks again.
Hi, mehak80
thanks for sharing your experience. whsh you have a great score.
What Qbanks did you studied? and any advice?
Thanks
Good luck Mehak !!!
thanks everyone. i didnot write about my preparation because i donot feel i was well prepared. i started my prep five months back. i did kaplan audios and it took me about two and a half months. after that i took kaplan one month online qbank but i couldnot finish it. i did only 70% of it. my cumulative in that was 80%. i did kapaln books once more. did goljan too. its a great book. i strongly recommend that.last month i took usmle world q bank. i had some personal problems and my last month esp the last two weeks were bad for me. i didnt even finish usmle world qbank. i did around 800 questions and my cumulative was 72%.
i did first aid only in the last four days but i really wish i had given it more time. please be thorough with this book. its very good.
this is all i did. as i told before i am not a right person to give advice about how to prepare because i really didnot give it my best effort myself. but what i feel is that the real exam is more like the kaplan questions. some are very easy, straight forward qs , most of them require some thinking and they are mostly conceptual qs, and a few are very difficult ones.
usmle world questions are extremely good and i suggest everybody to go through them. but the real exam is easier than them.
i took nbme tests 6,5,4 and 3 weeks before my exam and my scores were 236, 240, 245 and 232. and i gave my exam just relying on these scores.dont know if ill score similar in the real test.
kaplan books are really good esp biochem, pharm and micro,physio. and i dont think there is need to do anything beyond this for them. path goljan is good. anat i never did highyield just saw some neuroanat sections. i think the book is good. for me behavior science is more of a guess work. i am bad at it but its tested a lot. the doctor patient realation qs. prepare them well
hope it helps. good luck.
Hey
When you say goljan book, which one in particular are you refering to? Pathology Rapid Review, or Pathology review or Pathology notes? All these are by Goljan?

Thanks
hi austin
i was referring to pathology rapid review. i have no clue about others. but this one is really good.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »