Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about step 3... - atlanta2006
Sorry for posting this question in this chat but I can see that lots of you guys have already passed step 3. If possible, could someone tell me the best options to study(crush? FA? step2 material only?UW?)? I want to take this test early next year but I am so lost...thanks...
It's a tough one.....the reason I say that is that there is no single source which provides ALL the information needed for step 3.

Popular materials

Most people would agree that the following materials are ESSENTIAL:
1. UW Q BANK: use this as a teaching tool rather than a testing tool
2. KAPLAN BOOKS: if you used the Step 2 books, then re-use them. But if you have step 3 books then use them. The difference is (a) Step 3 books have the material presented in case format (b) step 2 books have the same inforamation but have additional information. The information presented in step2 books is not always case format.

Also consider using some of these books:
1. Swanson's family medicine - I know that one of the Kaplan teachers Elmer (who wrote the OB/GYN section for this book) recommended not using this book. He said it was too detailed. Other forum members have used this book
2. FirstAid Step3*
3. Crush Step3*
4. usmlesteps123 - it has CCS cases in computer format. this website will give you practice on the CCS cases. Note however, that their interface is somewhat different from the actual software interface used on the Step3
5. Strong Medicine - I don't know much about this book, but I've heard people here and there talking about it...

GL

It's a tough one.....the reason I say that is that there is no single source which provides ALL the information needed for step 3.

Popular materials

Most people would agree that the following materials are ESSENTIAL:
1. UW Q BANK: use this as a teaching tool rather than a testing tool
2. KAPLAN BOOKS: if you used the Step 2 books, then re-use them. But if you have step 3 books then use them. The difference is (a) Step 3 books have the material presented in case format (b) step 2 books have the same inforamation but have additional information. The information presented in step2 books is not always case format.

Also consider using some of these books:
1. Swanson's family medicine - I know that one of the Kaplan teachers Elmer (who wrote the OB/GYN section for this book) recommended not using this book. He said it was too detailed. Other forum members have used this book
2. FirstAid Step3*
3. Crush Step3*
4. usmlesteps123 - it has CCS cases in computer format. this website will give you practice on the CCS cases. Note however, that their interface is somewhat different from the actual software interface used on the Step3
5. Strong Medicine - I don't know much about this book, but I've heard people here and there talking about it...

GL

* FirstAid3 & Crush3...if you decide to use these books, my advice is to choose only of one of those two....they contain similar information. Both are used for rapid review
* FirstAid3 & Crush3...if you decide to use these books, my advice is to choose only of one of those two....they contain similar information. Both are used for rapid review
That is really detailed info, Vitriol! Thank you so much!!
I want to start studying now. I am tired of looking at this computer waiting for IVs. Just want to move on and get a life back in track...

Have you ever heard about NMS books? They are from National Medical Series. I studied those books for step 2 and they were very helpful. However, I don't see anybody talking about them.

Thanks again! You always very helpful and knowledgeable!
That is really detailed info, Vitriol! Thank you so much!!
I want to start studying now. I am tired of looking at this computer waiting for IVs. Just want to move on and get a life back in track...

Have you ever heard about NMS books? They are from National Medical Series. I studied those books for step 2 and they were very helpful. However, I don't see anybody talking about them.

Thanks again! You always very helpful and knowledgeable!
I haven't heard anything about NMS books, but I've seen them around for the specialties, neuro, hemo etc...I thought they were excellent and detailed.

Like I said...the biggest hurdle for steps 2 & 3 I've had to face is finding a SINGLE source with all the info...
I haven't heard anything about NMS books, but I've seen them around for the specialties, neuro, hemo etc...I thought they were excellent and detailed.

Like I said...the biggest hurdle for steps 2 & 3 I've had to face is finding a SINGLE source with all the info...
Exactly! I feel that the preparation for step 1 and even for step 2 were more straightforward. But now I am lost. You brought a lot of light though! Thanks again!!

I enjoyed reading the NMS books. It was really fun to review some topics after so many years (you know...i graduated last century! lol).

Thanks man!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »