Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mt Sinai School of Medicine(Queens Hospital Center - python
Any idea? how is the program?
Anyone? Any info? I have interview there next month. Any prematches? Do they offer H1s? Will appreciate your input. Thanks
Above average community hospital IM program. New facilities. Clean area and safe surroundings. Extremely IMG friendly. Excellent house staff (friendly, knowledgable and willing to teach and help you out---most of them graduated from MSSM. PD is stern but approachable and very understanding). Good ancilliary team. Interested and competent med students. Offers visas and prematches to right candidates.....Busy work load (do expect to carry at least 12 inpatients). Minimal benefits (2nd. lowest salary in NYC, altough things tend to improve with time). 1 or 2 hospitalists are too condescending and their opinion is highly regarded (be very careful!). Known for a no-mess mentality, especially from PD, who in the past has kicked out interns and residents alike (due of course to incompetence or major mistakes). Limited chances for fellowships. Overall is a good program if you want to pursue almost exclusively Primary Care, but then again it all depends on your effort (remember the sky is the limit). Hope my input helps....
any medical questions during the interview?
Med Qs. are always a possibility and you as a doctor should be prepared for this. Luckily, most Qs. revolve around common medical problems (CP, PCP,OM,etc), things you should already know. They might ask you to present "an interesting case" (most people do a Pheochromo. or some type of leukemia). If you have the chance to know beforehand who will be interviewing you, then prepare accordingly (cardiologist---CP, ID---PCP, Endo---DM, etc). Frankly most interviewers don't care about what you know! They want to see if you have organization, charisma, stamina and power of decision-making, not to mention your body language and, very important, please eveybody take note, your accent (not to many applicants pay attention to this detail. Just because you think you sound right...). They are evaluating and grading and picturing themselves working with you. They are picturing you coming into their working environment and being able to do more than just survive. If they perceive you as arrogant and/or indifferent, your chances are nil. So, the take-home points are to try to get the most info. about the program and interviewers beforehand (which in any case you should have done before blindly applying there, and finally to work on your interviewing skills. By the way, the above answer applies not only to your question. Take care.
Thanks a lot drjoe99.
Glad I could help...
does it sponsor h1? did anybody interview there or even got a prematch? i have an interview there in jan. anybody interviewing there?
how can it be noone? somebody come up
The program sponsors both J-1 and H1b.
However H1b is only for exceptional scores or finishing previous IM training at home country.
This is the formal information from PC when I asked about the program information.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »