Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why are fresh graduates favored - nakamu
Old graduates can start work on the go. No hassle to the residents, fresh graduates still have to be taught to do this and that, supervision etc....... So can anybody explain this enigma to me?
Old grads more often than not have already their way of doing things.
The rationale of the programs is that they prefer young grads who are fresh but usually more willing to learn something in the way that the program wants. Old grads, used to doing something differently, may give the program hard time because of their customs.
Plus, old grads sometimes do not take too well the fact that their immediate superiors are usually younger tham they are.

Now, before anyone says anything - I am not writing here to discredit old grads. I am just trying to explain the philosophy that stands behind programs' decision.

Take care
so if I am an old grad and promise the PD I will follow thier rules, then I would be more favourable to the programs?
SIMLPE-american medical system does not support practise after medical school,that is why residency starts in July and Medical students graduate in June,so no gap in the education,unlike the british system where you can work as SHO or medical officer.So it is difficult for them to understand.

yes,some old graduate who have accomplished alot may be stiff sometimes(and funny enough they may be the right person on the issue),but some of them are treasured in some specialties and fields because of years of experience
hi kita, so who is considered an old graduate, 2 years post graduation, 5? If I finish 2 years of HO in my country will I be considered old? I am still a medical student. is it better to apply straight out of med school? I just feel a little unsettled going to a foreign land but still unable to function as a full fledged doctor. Any comments are welcome
I think reason is simple. Older graduate have less energy and residency is demanding.
They need people who can work very hard, and I know something that when you more than 28 year old it is hard to work whole night and be fresh in the morning.
I think this is the reason besides they need us to work as a horse 90 hrs a week.
I know one girl she is 27 y/o I talk to her she barely can talk after 32 hrs shift.
is age a limit guys?
cris
this your theory is bizarre,many american graduates come out of medical school at an average age of 30-34 +/- 3SD.some are even accomplished professional before going to medical school,and your description as an old graduate is not based on age but on year of graduation.If you think you will see a 22 year old AMG you are kidding,medicine is a second degree,and americans respect age,you cant go to first grade until you are certain age,is not like developing country where you see a 6-7yr old in 7th grade.

Inshort,if you are too young they worry arbout your mental capability.

Nakamu
you are not an old graduate

Before the super-influx of IMGs,old graduate was considered 10 years, then 5 years,now some programs have gone down to 1-3 years,it is all program dependent,and it changes,cos if they have problems with old graduates and they attribute it to their year of graduation,they may change their policies next year,just like some programs giving you almost impossible criteria just to discourage IMGs.
Kita
you judgement is very strange. I call few hospital asking for the reason for rejection.
They said graduation year. So you better check your mental capability and I can add that I read few of your post so leave me alone if you are younger than 30 y/o and if you are not I give you god advice -do not try to compare FMG to AMG . You would know that if you were long enough in US.
I met an american graduate recently in my interview. She is more than 50 yr/o and have 6 sons, the oldest son is 25 yr/o and will graduated from a university with his mom in the next summer. her youngest son is 14 yr/o. I wonder who has more energy than this old graduate. you can look like a near dead person when you are 20 yr/o, you can also function like baby when you 90 yr/o. The most important thing is who is more capable of providing the best quality of patient care. some programs do not like old graduates are also because they are afraid of challenge or being questioned of better-trained and more experienced old graduates.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »