Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I like this! - chiny
I came across this post in another forum. It will definitely help us.

"To answer the OP....a "bad" program is one that does not train you. If you learn all you need to learn to take care of your patients, great. If your program teaches you what the hospitals that you will be working at demand for privileges, you are in good schape.

As far as name recognition, you will find that outside of fellowship applications and academics, you will not benefit too much from a "big" name.

I interviewed at several programs for Ob. Many were big name. I picked a well regarded community program for the high level of training that was specific to the type of practice I want, and I have no regrets.

So, there are programs out there that are bad. Stay away from them. But, what makes a program bad are things like poor teaching, inadequate patient or procedure numbers, etc...don't be afraid of a community program with good teaching. And, there are LOTS of those programs out there.

The key is good training. Look carefully at the program, determine what you need, and see if it is available."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »