Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCP/MRCS vs M.D(USA) - sith
yellowfever.. point taken

My 2 cents about this issue this that MRCP is not really very useful compared with MD. This because when you become board-certified here in US, actually they exempt you from MRCP 1 and 2 and you just have to clear PACES.

However MRCS is a very useful degree. This because surgery is more difficult to get in US and if you have UK surgical experience, it is much easier to do categorical surgery in US than HST in UK.

So my 2 cents is that if you are doing medicine, then come directly to US (earlier the better!). If you are doing surgery than UK is useful.
o really you are tell us mikez?
mikez what did ya score buddy???
guys, you don't get it.

Its waste of time to berate any degree.

All this desperation from some forum user just high lites the insecurity they are facing.

Insulting someone`s education credentials is not going to help you with anything other than gaining some cheap momentary pleasure. Do it if it helps your ego.

Having MRCP/MRCS/MRCPCH is not the issue. The issue is the clinical experience the candidate has. As apurva mentioned Paces/osce are very tough only 25% clear no matter what the quality of candidates that time. Do you guys know PLAB 2 is 100 times tougher than CS/CSA?

If MRCP doesn't reflect a doctors competence, I FEEL USMLE IS JUST AS FARCE AS MRCP.. YOU CAN JUST ACE THESE EXAMS JUST BY READING FEW BOOKS AND DOING THE Q BANKS. 99/99 CANDIDATE IS AS GOOD AS A SCUM BAG IF HE/SHE IS BOOKISH.

We can talk all day long.. but the fact remains that you have to prove yourself in this country, if you can do that you can achieve anything. Concentrate on that.

Good Luck.
guys, you don't get it.

Its waste of time to berate any degree.

All this desperation from some forum user just high lites the insecurity they are facing.

Insulting someone`s education credentials is not going to help you with anything other than gaining some cheap momentary pleasure. Do it if it helps your ego.

Having MRCP/MRCS/MRCPCH is not the issue. The issue is the clinical experience the candidate has. As apurva mentioned Paces/osce are very tough only 25% clear no matter what the quality of candidates that time. Do you guys know PLAB 2 is 100 times tougher than CS/CSA?

If MRCP doesn't reflect a doctors competence, I FEEL USMLE IS JUST AS FARCE AS MRCP.. YOU CAN JUST ACE THESE EXAMS JUST BY READING FEW BOOKS AND DOING THE Q BANKS. 99/99 CANDIDATE IS AS GOOD AS A SCUM BAG IF HE/SHE IS BOOKISH.

We can talk all day long.. but the fact remains that you have to prove yourself in this country, if you can do that you can achieve anything. Concentrate on that.

Good Luck.
i agree to ur points. but another major moot point is

plab = usmle
mrcp 1, 2 = abim

technically mrcp 1 and 2 should be a step up from usmle. however they are not. but then abim is also deficient in a strong clinical exam like the paces.

residencies in india (atleast what i have seen at my parent institution) which is rated amongst the top 10 in india - involve no studyin (only scut) in pgy1. then in pgy3 ppl read and pass the essay type exams. i have heard dnb is much more tuffer and independant of the variables associated with the individual universities.

however i agree with bluetooth. u have to prove urself in this country and hence this discussion does not serve a purpose.

apurva
you see blue tooth you understand me wrong~guys who have Mrcp?mrcs think that they are superior coz they have cleared a POSTGRADUATE exam.but reality is that its as tough as USMLE or less......so............
The fact that guys with MRCP/MRCS are favoured is not because it is a very tough exam or harder than usmle, it`s because these guys have gain valuable clinical experience in a setting very similar to the USA. I don`t see how you can compare someone who have a MRCP with 3-4 years clinical experience in the UK with a person like myself, who just did one year internship in home country, came to USA and took the USMLE. The piont is not that the MRCP guy is smarter than me or the mrcp exams are tougher than the usmle, no, it`s that he/she have clinical experience which I don`t I have. I `m saying this out of personal experience. I have collagues from medical school, who were just average students. After medical school they went to UK, got the mrcp and then moved to the USA and took the usmle. Even though both got usmle scores way lower than mine, they got interviews at very competetive IM programs and not a single of those programs invited me. See, I was on top of these guys in medical school, and scored better than them in the usmle, but they have UK clinical experience and this makes a huge difference. Say, you finish residency (and maybe fellowsip) in the USA, and then for some weird reason decided to go and start over in the UK and do the MRCP, you will definetly be favoured over the others who are just starting the mrcp process, and I am sure you won`t be struggling with the UK exams like some MRCP guys struggle with the usmle. So in my humble opinion, I think it`s fair enough that IMG with MRCP/MRCS are favoured over those without because they have clinical experience most of us not have, and it`s not something to be envied, at same time been favoured because of your experience doesn`t necessarily means you are smarter or took tougher exams .
The fact that guys with MRCP/MRCS are favoured is not because it is a very tough exam or harder than usmle, it`s because these guys have gain valuable clinical experience in a setting very similar to the USA. I don`t see how you can compare someone who have a MRCP with 3-4 years clinical experience in the UK with a person like myself, who just did one year internship in home country, came to USA and took the USMLE. The piont is not that the MRCP guy is smarter than me or the mrcp exams are tougher than the usmle, no, it`s that he/she have clinical experience which I don`t I have. I `m saying this out of personal experience. I have collagues from medical school, who were just average students. After medical school they went to UK, got the mrcp and then moved to the USA and took the usmle. Even though both got usmle scores way lower than mine, they got interviews at very competetive IM programs and not a single of those programs invited me. See, I was on top of these guys in medical school, and scored better than them in the usmle, but they have UK clinical experience and this makes a huge difference. Say, you finish residency (and maybe fellowsip) in the USA, and then for some weird reason decided to go and start over in the UK and do the MRCP, you will definetly be favoured over the others who are just starting the mrcp process, and I am sure you won`t be struggling with the UK exams like some MRCP guys struggle with the usmle. So in my humble opinion, I think it`s fair enough that IMG with MRCP/MRCS are favoured over those without because they have clinical experience most of us not have, and it`s not something to be envied, at same time been favoured because of your experience doesn`t necessarily means you are smarter or took tougher exams .
I didn't mean MRCP=USMLE, Apurva
Its an analogy that exams don't really test a doctors competence.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »