Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
guys who passed, what mistakes u did on ur exam? - hardworkforusmle
hi calmer,i did only UW but i followed Patient notes pattren from FA.I think for cases UW is more than sufficient but pt notes r good in Fa.I studied for 10 days seriously but remember its very subjective bcoz some ppl do the things in 4-5 days n pass but other study for weeks n fail,so its upto u.go thru UW atleast twice n practice atleast 10 cases with ur friend.it ll give u confidence.practice to write atleast 10 Pt notes in 10 min.on a paper which u v to print out from usmle cd.so bottom line is ,do nt take too much time(more than 4weeks)or too little time(less than 7 days).when u think that u r doing more than 80%,it means time has come to appear in cs.give due time n most imp thing is to not lose ur nerves during exam.there r many things to tell u people n i want to but im feeling sleepy,so inshAllah i ll share my experience in a bit more detail later,thanx for best wishes.take care n gl
i got anxious for a patient on a phone,forgot to intrduce myself,and speak with a lot of problem,
Hi, the mistakes I made include
I forgot to see the 1st pt's name so didn't address him by name
I forgot to pull the leg rest in 1 patient
incomplete physical exam in almost all
I didn't complete 1 case on time.
Wrong diagnosis in 2 patients
forgot to councel one patient on smoking and another patient onsafe sex
I used medical terminology in one patient, but explained right away
The number of mistakes i did was countless.
but remember its an exam which tests your basic skills in communication,i nterpretatio of signs.
so be very prompt in doing 'must to do pass' things like
1. calling the pt by name and then introducing yourself.
2. making good eye contact.
3. showing empathy towards patients.
4. washing hands.
5. draping properly.
6. try to comfort patient wen sp shows signs of discimfort(cough/sweating)
7. do a bit of narration at the end like cc,dd,probable investigations in lay man laguage.
8. ask at the end whether sp has any doubts.
9. FIANLLY TREAT THEM AS REAL PATIENTS(AS THEY R VERY GOOD ACTORS)
IF you do all these regularly definitely you pass (with some basis preparation from uw and fa)
hope this helps
BOL for all exam takers

I FORGOT ONE IMPORTANT THING OF COURSE
PULLING THE LEG SUPPORT (WIYHOUT THAT MOST SPs ARE REALLY UNCOMFORETABLE)
Hi guys, whoever have posted the list of mistakes on their CS, did you all pass the CS already or still waiting for the result?? I'm just curious to know if these mistakes aren't a big hindrance for passing. I'm abt to give my CS in a month and getting a bit nervous. And I've another question to you all. I'm mainly following FA for my CS prep, looked through UW for the history part. Is that OK or should I go through the cases in UW also?? Please do reply. Thanx.
- Never forget to tell patient what you are about to do, draping, handwashing and everything
- Ask how the illness is affecting their lives
- PAMHUGSFOSSETA, LIQORAAA
- Counsel about calcium supplements in elderly women and other stuff related to age like colonscopy and all
- Use your differentials in history taking to rule each one out
- Use FA and UW
- Do not panic and focus more on communication and interpersonal skills if you think you can take a good history
As I posted it above I did those mistakes and to my surprise I passed
Thanks God ..... I passsssssssssed
My misstakes :
- I didn't councel 3 pts ( CNS, Rt lower back pain and fatigue complain)
- I didnot recognize the pt who have a depression .I put it as differential although he told me he feel a little bit down .
- I forget to use ophthalmoscopy in all cases have HTN and DM which are about 3 or 4 cases.
- I found some difficulty to understand black american SPs (The accent).
- I asked 3 questions in different pts and they don't understand me for the first time therefore i repeated it again ..
- I forget to pull the part of table that use for legs in one pt .
- I didn't put pts in 45 degree in CVS examination .
- The pts note is not orgnized well just i tried to put the information i have .
- I share my hand with pt that he complain of LEFT SHOULDER PAIN which this is the most thing that i fear from .

* my advise .. be carefull about inter personal communication , Because it is a key for successfull .
I think this is all my misstakes i remembered ....

GOOD LUCK FOR ALL
1 .I forgot my 2nd pts name whem i entered the room and called him by the wrong name he corrected me and i apologised for that
2.When summarizing with about 2 pt repeated wrong duration of symptoms pts corrected me and i said to them and said that is why it is important for me to go over this with u
3.when i used a couple of medical terms and when i realised even if i had started a diffrent conversation I explained it in lay-man terms
4.my writing was a mess and i cancelled alot esp abbrevations when i realised
things i probably did right .
5.When examinining a patient with for range of motion she screamed not sure if it was part of the exam or i was to forceful over and over again
maintained eye contact ,smiled a lot,told pt what i was doing,asked question even after summarising .Asked if they had questions or concerns more than once.Asked if there is any other thing i had not asked.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »