Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you Ready to SCRAMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE????? - vitriol102
Hey guys, I've seen a few posts here and there which offer scrambling advice. This post is an attempt to consolidate all this information into one post.

The following posts were actually done by forum members Dr. Swapna and Chiny..., if you have any additional information about scramble which would be helpful to others, then please add on.

Please refrain from adding miscellanous comments and keep this post about Scramble information only.... In other words, post questions in a seperate post.
drswapna - 02/03/07 13:40

Scramble Experience and Suggestions
Three years ago we helped our first IMG FP residency applicant during the post match days. We learned a couple of things that could be beneficial for others.

Time is of essence! Most of the post match positions get filled by 3 PM the post match day!

Plan of The Game

1. Have the following equipment available:
two or even better, three phone lines, cell phones will do fax machine; computer with high speed internet connection a couple of friends who will help you to call the programs frozen lunches or a friend ready to bring some from the nearest McDonald's

2. Get the unmatched programs list

3. Call, e-mail and Fax your application as fast as you can, so you are ahead of others

What you should expect on that day

1. Monday from about 9 AM CST every future resident in the country is trying to log on to the NRMP®. Needless to add - most of them are unsuccessful. The closer it gets to 11 AM, the less chances one has to get there. The web site just cannot handle the load. That's where having a fast internet connection, more than one computer and a couple of friends trying to log on, pays off big time.

2. After logging on, you still are three clicks away from downloading a list of unmatched programs. Each click you will have to repeat from 10 to 100 times because everybody else is doing that. What you will see is a "Site is unavailable" page after some time out. Our advice - do not give up and start over, use browser "Refresh" to get thru.

3. After getting the list, you have to filter out the information you need: specialty and geographic location. Now you need to compile a list of phone numbers, e-mails and faxes of the programs you want to apply to.

4. You log on to ERAS® and apply for up to 30 programs you are interested the most.

5. One of your helpers faxes your application to ALL programs in ALL specialties you consider. I recommend using some fax service like http://jblast.jfax.com/ . You can pre-load your documents in advance. The most important thing - they have lots of phone lines and fax machines trying to deliver your faxes simultaneously. Their service is $.06 per page and it's worth it!

6. Another helper of yours e-mails your application to the programs.

7. You and all other helpers available call the programs.

8. You get a spot if everything went OK!
chiny - 02/16/07 09:38

I got this from a forum and decided to share it with future scramblers. GL

March 12, 2007
Matched and unmatched information on applicants posted to the Web site at 12:00 noon eastern time. This means that at the specified time and date you can log onto the NRMP web site and see whether or not you matched. Note if you DID match, the information provided at this time does not tell you WHERE or into WHAT speciality (if you ranked more than one) you matched.

Obviously you need a good internet connection to access this information as the site will be jammed and a DSL/Cable line will be a bonus in getting through quickly.You must have your NRMP access code and password to enter the site for this information and you can log in from home, school, library, work, etc. Anywhere with a good connection. Don't forget to account for international date/time changes.

March 13, 2007
Filled and unfilled results for individual programs posted to the Web site at 11:30 am eastern time. The next day after obtaining information on whether or not you matched, you can obtain information on which residency programs went unfilled (presumably if you went unmatched you are immediately more interested in these than those that DID fill. So at 11:30 EST you will know which programs might possibly have empty positions. Print this list out if you are able and ascertain which programs you might be interested in.

Locations of all unfilled positions are released at 12:00 noon eastern time. Unmatched applicants may begin contacting unfilled programs at 12:00 noon eastern time. At 12:00 noon EST, or only 1/2 hour after the information about which programs are unfilled was posted, you now have information on which of these programs have unfilled POSITIONS. The SCRAMBLE HAS BEGUN!!

The information that follows can also be found at: www.ecfmg.org/eras/index.html (so information is geared toward ECFMG candidates).

You will be most successful if you have everything done toward ECFMG certification but do not specifically need to be certified to participate in the match or scramble (although some programs may prefer it).

Now you may begin contacting programs with unfilled positions in an effort to obtain a spot. Hopefully you can do so over the phone and avoid an in-person interview. Although you can start with any program you like, my recommendation is that you first contact programs where you interviewed AND could possibly be happy AND have open position(s) (ie, if these conditions are met). Your chances are better at a place that was interested enough to interview you and has some idea of who you are. Let them know that they already have your application, and ask them to take another look at it. You cannot re-transmit your application through ERAS/ECFMG.
If none of the unfilled programs are places you interviewed at, then you can contact the programs in any order you desire.

Programs will differ as to whether they wish you to FAX them information or have you submit it through ERAS (as you did during the regular match) for the Scramble. Ideally, you will have contacted a few programs in advance to find out whether you should apply, and how each program wants to receive your application. Since it will be difficult to reach the program directors and receive the answers you need during the Scramble, ECFMG suggests the following method:

Add up to 30 programs to the list of programs to which you have applied and try to follow up with these programs by phone, if you can. If a program prefers to receive your application by fax, you can still fax your application to them. Remember you will know the day BEFORE the Scramble whether or not you matched so can contact programs then, if not before (ie, if you suspect you will not match).

When the scramble begins, you can apply to a maximum of 30 programs additional during the two-day scramble through ERAS. There is no charge for applying to programs during the scramble. However, to release your application, you must complete the payment process, even if the amount due is zero. Any programs to which you apply after 12:00 noon, Eastern Time in the United States, on Thursday, March 16, 2006 will be charged at the regular rate.

On Thursday, March 16, 2006, at 1:00 PM, the results of the Match will be announced. Programs may still have open positions, but most are filled during the two days leading up to this announcement (the official Scramble). Anything later than this date is referred to as Post-Scramble/Match.

During the two Scramble days, ECFMG will login to the ERAS PostOffice several times each day to retrieve your document assignments and program lists. We will process those lists and transmit your documents shortly thereafter. During the 48 hours of the Scramble, there is no time for manual processing. Your file must be ready for automatic processing by our system before the Scramble begins. That means:

At least one week before the Scramble, you must apply to at least one program (if you have already applied during the regular match you do not need to apply to any additional programs; you will already have a file at ECFMG for the match). If you are planning to apply during the post-Match Scramble only, you must still apply to at least one program about one week before the Scramble.

You must also make sure that all of your documents have been received and assigned, so that we can attach and transmit them before the Scramble.
If you are sending us new or replacement LoRs, we must have them one week prior to the Scramble, so that we have time to attach them. If you have a new, additional LoR, assign it to one of your original programs. This gives us time to attach it before the Scramble. During the Scramble we will not have time to do it. If you are sending us a replacement LoR from the same writer, attach a note to it that reads, "This replaces the previous LoR." Otherwise, we might mistake it for another copy of the one we have already scanned and discard it without scanning.

After that, your ECFMG file is ready for the Scramble. Thus ECFMG effectively serves as your "Dean's Office" as in a US school, forwarding your documents to the programs you desire.

If you are scrambling for a residency position and the programs prefers receiving information from YOU via FAX, you must:

a: have a phone with a good connection and the ability to call long distance (ie, programs will not be taking collect calls)
b: access to a FAX machine, again which allows you to send information long distance or even out of the country if you aren't in the US for the scramble.
c. have GOOD copies of your entire NRMP application - this includes transcripts, letters of rec (to be sent either from the letter writer, your school, or ECFMG; do not send them personally as this will invalidate any statements that you have waived your right to see the letters, personal statement, USMLE scores.
d. be prepared to either accept an invitation to interview or a position ON THE SPOT. They generally will not allow you time to decide.

Do not be suprised if program offices do not answer their phones or emails on the Scramble days. As an example, my program got HUNDREDS of FAXes, emails and phone calls a few years back when we had an open position. There is no way the administrative staff can answer the phones and actually get some work done. Therefore, if you know you haven't or won't match, then have your information together and if you've contacted programs prior to the Scarmble and they prefer a FAX rather than ERAS, then just send the stuff to them. Do not underestimate just showing up at a program if you are in the vicinity during the Scarmble.

Ok...so one didn't match. The next option is the post-match scramble but what exactly is it? We're about to find out.
Official requirements:
1. Fax Machine and Email Account ...
2. Standard Curriculum Vitae ... You can only use ERAS for up to 30 programs.
3. Letters of Recommendation ...
4. Medical School Transcript
5. ECFMG Certificate
6. A flawless, and well written Personal Statement
7. Dean's Letter ... if applicable.
Visit NRMP.org for more information.
Ok..well it seems straight forward so far.
In 2007 this will be 12:00 noon, Eastern Time in the United States, on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 and will last from noon on March 13 to noon on March 15, 2007. In these 48 hours the online USMLE Post Match scramble process usually transmits thousands of documents.
Good news: The process is free during the post-match scramble.
So that means I will have to submit my documents to ERAS beforehand. And in case I did not register with the Match, I need an NRMP / AAMC ID and a password to gain access to the list of unfilled positions.
Ok..it's getting a little complicated but still manageable.
Then the website tells me:
During the 48 hours of the USMLE Post Match scramble, there is no time for manual processing. Your file must be ready for automatic processing by our system before the USMLE Post Match scramble begins.
That means:
1. At least one week before the USMLE Post Match scramble, you must apply to at least one program.
2. If you are planning to apply during the USMLE Post Match scramble only, you must still apply to at least one program about one week before the USMLE Post Match scramble.
3. You must also make sure that all of your documents have been received and assigned, so that ERAS can attach and transmit them before the USMLE Post Match scramble.
4. If you are sending ERAS new or replacement LoRs, they must have them one week prior to the USMLE Post Match scramble, so that they have time to attach them. If you have a new, additional LoR, assign it to one of your original programs. This gives them time to attach it before the USMLE Post Match scramble. During the USMLE Post Match scramble ERAS will not have time to do it.
5. If you are sending ERAS a replacement LoR from the same writer, attach a note to it that reads, "This replaces the previous LoR." Otherwise, ERAS might mistake it for another copy of the one they have already scanned and discard it without scanning. After that, your file is ready for the USMLE Post Match scramble.
Hmm..more complications..but that's ok. It's all so I can be ready for the big day.
D-Day is here:
It's time to download the list of unmatched positions.
Little do I know that every future resident in the country is trying to log on to the NRMP. Needless to say, most of us unsuccessfully. 2 hours in, and I am still trying. The NRMP web site just cannot handle the load.
After logging on, I am still three clicks away from downloading a list of unmatched programs. Each click I have to repeat from 10 to 100 times because everybody else is doing that.
After getting the list I still have to filter out the information I need: speciality and geographic location. Now I need to compile a list of phone numbers, e-mails and faxes of the programs you want to apply to.
I log on to ERAS and apply to up to 30 programs I am interested in the most.
I start calling the programs, and the nightmare continues: what a mess...faxes not going through, phones busy, voice mails full, emails being returned...!! seems like it's next to impossible...
Then I receive some calls from the programs which then interview me on the phone. I am so flustered with the whole process, I start stammering and not answering correctly. How can one focus with all this happening, and the time flynig by and me trying to fax while a PD is trying to reach me.
So what's the solution?
There is none. One has to go through the process. The only way you can get through it is:
Preparation: The program coordinator and assistant director are on standby and prepared. So whenever an application that is requested is faxed, it is immediately reviewed. So why should they be prepared and not I?
Organization: One has to be organized and set a game plan on how to proceed. Success seldom occured amongst chaos.
Knowledge: You cannot defeat an enemy if you don't know the battlefield. You have to be familiar with the process long before it starts unfolding.

Hope this helps.
SCRAMBLE SERVICES
Below are some links from Scramble 2006 in which forum members discussed such services. This may be an useful link for those who would like more information about the integrity of such services:

http://www.usmleforum.com/archives/2006/4/83548.php

http://www.usmleforum.com/archives/2006/4/75624.php

you r good thanks
GREAT work buddy!I am wondering ,you and kita ...what are you doing in this selfish world?
Hey vit and kita I NEED ur IDs...Hope I meet u some day.
Hey VIT

excellent job man, keep up it up.
VIT..PAKIpower is saying keep IT up!!(LOL)...
There is no way on this world to do on your own effetively. I tried last year and I thought I was sophisticated but still failed. My brother is an IT. You need to setup a pre made list of faxes and emails and then activate the unfilled...that is not easy to do on our own, that is done by services to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for the effort anyway.
always forward this post if you come across so that it will be handy during the scramble
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »