Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
medicine in the USA -
starter

Can you explain to me how many years students in USA study before they become MD or DO

It seems to me they get better clinical skills than us who study medicine overseas. especially before residency program so what do you think?
ankur

From what i have read on the web and heard from my seniors the level of clinical skills attained by US medical graduates is inferior to ours(i am talking about Delhi) .Ofcourse,i have no way of knowing if this is true,but the reason given is that the no.of cases we r exposed to during our internship is quite large.Also,in countries loke india,even in delhi,the concept of pt consent to examination is virtually non existent.So if one can find somebody who is willing to teach.there is no dearth of opportunities.Them again,i am talking of Delhi where internship is hard and rigorous.Most of the other states r a different matter altogether.
starter

Then what is the purpose of CSA?
Thong - thchuynh

Approximatly four years in premed, then 3 years in medical school. In or after that, they could take USMLE just like us. About clinical skills, they're getting must better high-tech training, however they're having less real-patient exposure.
ankur

For starter
well,ive never heard of a case from Delhi who cleared the written steps and failed the CSA.Also.pt examination in the US would entail communication and explanations to the pt,which we r very poor at.Same holds for OSCE in PLAB,which is not considered of much consequence once u clear the written part.Moreover,my seniors never prepared for more than a month for CSA,and that too to get an idea of the pattern and basic exam content.

For Thong
hey Thong,is premed the same as pre and para medical subjects?(step1 content,that is)And three yrs of medical school means clinical postings only or classroom teaching too?I was also wondering if the grades that american med grads get in medical school have an implication on the residency that they get?
Thanks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »