Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alternate options for foreign medical graduates - usmlewarrior81
hi friends,

i m medical graduate from india trying to apply for us residency since last 2 yrs but could not make it.

i have low score 75 and 77. and think that this yr also will not make it as no interviews.

i just want to know what r the other alternate options that we the medical graduates can do for career in paramedical field.

i mean the courses that r cheaper and also find us a decent job in usa.

are there any scopes for p.hd in subjects like pharmacy, microbiology, etc.
Few options
1. Medical Research
2. Pharmaceutical companies - clinical research
3. Switch to computers
4. Jaadu ya Bartan Maanch
it depends on ur visa status, if you have a work permit or green card then join some hospital near where u stay for free research etc.
Get some exp, apply for non competitive specialty like psychiatry, get hold of some psych experience and try for interviews.

Ur scores alone many not be the reason.

Other options will cost you money, please let me know ur visa status from more help.

Research jobs may be an option , but I dont know much about them.
You said that you've applied 2 years. Can you tell if you have completed Step 3 & do you have any USCE.
ghanta[Mr.Rude] - your option 4 was not funny. We have better options in our Country . We dont have to be that desparate & do jaadu,barthan in this Country.
Short term plan: Plebotomist, Pharmacy technician (2 months of traning course), Ultrasound technician, Respiratory therapist (2 years of traning course)
Long term plan: Pharmacist, Dentist (2-3 year for reprequisites, 4 years for Program, total 7 years)
Did you finish step 3 and get some kind of USCE? Please share with me your experience during 2 years of waiting for the match. If you tried your best and got nothing, you would go for other direction.
Good luck!
sorry could not reply early

but i have a green card,
1 month of observership
step 3 not yet taken
Which part of US are you in man.
There are plenty of research jobs all over the country, will pay you to begin with 30000 +. Start working, volunteer and get going, I see no reason u shouldn't get into.
IF you still can not find a job, post a new email id of urs here, will forward u at least one vacancy.

Best of luck, I am sure some one in this forum may even have a ready job for u.
i will be glad if u give me the information.

i live in suburb of chicago.
my email id is indianwarrior81
if you have been applying for residency for 2 yrs with no luck, there is something wrong in this picture.

1. u have low scores - but thats ok....u can do other things to improve your cv
2. NO USCE - very important for FMGs - get USCE ( must have)
3. maybe you have a weak personal statement (get other doctors to help u work on it)
4. maybe you have weak LORs (get externship in field of residency u want and get good letters)
5. do research or externship to improve cv
6. take step 3 - important for FMGs

these are recommendation u can do to improve your chances for next years match. u should serious take these in consideration to improve your cv. people with low scores can get into a residency. you just have to put in an extra effort and beef up your cv.

there is always an alternate in life, but u made it this far, so way not try a bit harder. work on improving your cv with the above recommendation. this will definitly improve your chances more than this year.

good luck
I have sent u a mail, do check it.

The advice by computeruser is terrific, please follow it word by word.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »