Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese Medical Graduate Match Results - dongbeiren
To Wrasse:

I agree with dongbeiren to some extent.

But I indeed believe that score is almost everything.

It is very important and you can control it. Then why not have a terrific score? By having good score, you can overcome USCE and Reference letter by my experience.

For USCE and good reference letter, it is just like Beijing 户口。 Some have naturally. Some couldn't have.

And to many PDs, good reference letters are only a plus to good scores. Without a good score and connection in the program, reference letters often go useless. USCE is difficult to define. Actually, real USCE is clerkship and internship in US. Probably, no one can really get. So, observership and similar USCE is just like reference letter, a plus to good scores.

To me, the determining factors are:

1.Scores

2. English

3.how to make PD like you.

All other factors are plus to them, except connection.

Well, these are only my experiences. We all have different situations and experience differently.

Good luck, Wrasse.
Thanks for all input. Very encouraging.
I am planning for 2008 match. Anybody can put some comments on how to choose the right hospitals to apply? Is community hospital the only choice?
THX
congratulations for all matched CMG!
old grads/step 1--99, plan for 2008 match. Now preparing for step 2.
can anyone tell me how to get a MSPF? Is it the score report from the medical university? Thank you!
prepusmle4 , MSPE is not medical school transcript. It is an evaluation for your performance in all areas. ERAS has a template for it.

What I did is that I drafted one according to the template, then sent it back to my classmate to help me get it stamped and signed. Dont' forget to let them put it on your school letterhead. Formerly it was called Dean's letter.
Thank you, danille. ok. it means I have to mail it back and get it stamped and signed.
GL for ur residency.
Dear caseasian, dongbeiren and tlcyj,

Thanks a lot for your kind suggestion. It is ture that I took the step1 and 2 in a rush when I was doing my postdoctoral. And I have a new baby before my step2. Because my visa status, I have to take the step3 to get my H1b visa. Besides working in the lab and taking care of the family, I took all the steps without very well prepared. I do not have connections in US. I wander if I can get any interviews when I apply to FM programs.

I went through the website of the Canadian hospitals, I could not find a observationship, but they have volunteers. I do not know if volunteer is a kind of clinical experience.
Wrasse,

I have the impulse to write to you after I read your message. I have similiar situation as you do and I admire you! I was postdoc too, have to quit it for usmle preparation. I had baby before my step 2 ck too and get in a hurry for step 3 for visa issue last year ( 1 month after step 2ck). You were doing actually very well at your situation-I know how hard to struggle between usmle and baby. I was on pregnancy on both step 1 and 2, insomia the whole night before taking exams, dare not take any medicine for sleep.

Fortunately, ( some friend asked earlier) I got extern in jackson park hospital in chicago for 5 months, the rest usce was from some other experience-the darkest time in my life-better not to say. My extern was mainly in IM and FM, but IM is getting intensive (90+ for interview, last year my score high 80s was ok for IM), for FM I do not have GC and limited by graduation years, these are big problems. I have to think about some other category. It looks I waste my previous usce because I have to look for some other category which is relatively easy to match. So, be prepared for the category you aim at, avoid my lessons.

Good luck to everyone!

oh, I met some friends from canada, they finished canadian medical tests (MCC) at the same time so that they can get J1 from canadian govenment. You may have to think about J1 in order to get more chance at current situation and you have to finish MCC(?) in order to get canadian J1, my friends were canadian citizen. I am not sure about GC. just a piece of info for your reference.
To ameoba,
I forgot to post my email address, Here it goes: linggroves2005
To all CMG, it is a good idea to creat a CMG associate-- share experience, provide connection--does not mean to help to find a residency.
From what my IV experience this year, I recalled that The PD ask" the people who is in some kind of observeship please raise your hand" --- those 3 got interviewed by PD, me and others 8 without involvment in the hospital were divided by 3 groups and interviewed by chief resident or attending doctor.
Also, from what I know other IMGs( not chinese) who got residency through scramble last year-- basically they had some connection to that program-- some senior residency introduce my friends to the PD earlier. And after toward the end of scramble, the PD call one of my friends to offer the position.
I think observeship is useless in the real medical practice(but it is a plus for being matched)-- it may has limited use for those medical students but not for those with clinical experience.
We all know that PGY-1 almost like intership with some pressure of responsibility. The PGY-1 will get plenty exposure. That is why there is no formal " observeship position" in most of hospitals. And it is very difficult to get that.
I do not have connection, I guess I will open a yellow phone book to start to call all local doctors to ask them whether they will give me a " observeship" if I am willing to pay $ for insurance since everything involved in patients even just observing need paying insurance.
81/78/ 2002 graduate, all 1 st attempt, 4 IV , matched! Eng...not too good . Well prepare for interview , thinking all the questions how to sell myself.
Thank god! Thank my parents, Thanks all my friends who support me, help me .
If u have interview, match or not match is all depend on you.
Prepare for interview questions, write thank you letter, good follow up...is very important

Good luck all Chinese people!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »