Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AOC and lead posining - bidd
HI
can someone plz explain this point.In case of AOC(anemia of chronic disease) and lead poising ,as i know there is decreased in the ability to utelize the iron by bone marrow,so as we suspect ,there will be incerase in serum iron and iron stores like ferritin,but why do we always find there is LOW serum iron level in AOC but high serum iron in lead poisining,about lead poising high serum iron makes sense but why it is low in AOC?
the reason is, in AOD, iiron is trapped in macrophages, and it can not come out of macrophages, I forgot the mechanism why it can not come out, but Goljan explained in his step 1 lecture.
Kind of "water water everywhere, but not a single drop to drink", read that albatross story ?
THX for reply but this can explain why iron stores increases but u did not answer my Q: why SERUM iron decrease in AOC?
agree it is trapped w/in Macropahges (inside Cells) therefore can't be measured in Serum
anemia of chronic disease is a condition in which the body does not use iron stores.
ferritin =stores
i imagined it like no one is using the stores so ferritin increase (or normal)and since iron remain in the stores and is not transported in the blood (so serum iron is low)
i dont know if this is the right explanation but it helped.
ok guys let us assume that serum iron is low in AOC because it is trapped in the macrophage ,but accordingly we should suspect from your explanation that TIBC will increase with AOC because of low serum iron,but as you know the TIBC in AOC decreases,so how can match the low serum iron with low TIBC??
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »