Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
say bye to step 1 now - salaan
Finally did it. I went to the exam center 30min earlier than the set time as directed by the red sheet, but was shown in the room right away, the exam started before I had a time to collect myself, but at the end I think it's OK.
They don't allow to take anything in and specifically asked whether I have tissue in my pockets. Good that my claritin worked today and I did not need any of facial tissues. They even don't allow you to put your jacket on the chair, you can tie it around the waist.

The question stems are not as long as some say, the length and formats are very much like USMLE CD. The only difference is that when I did the CD, all Qs felt fimilliar, while the test felt very new. I feel at least 10Qs from each block are not covered by review matierials and takes some guessing. After coming back, I immediately realized some stupid mistakes such as point out vena cava on a chest CT wrong. Some really basic stuff and then 40% of basic things but with a twist. They like to test same thing over and over again, so if you missed one concept, you miss a few Qs. All subjects are well covered. Many vitamin Qs. Basic biochemisry Qs, things that don't see in reviews much like long chain, medium chain and short chain ffa metabolism. I got a few Qs on that. Chasing remembered Qs is not a good idea because after seeing Qs here, I got one Q that's repeated.
I think knowing the basics well will at least get you to pass. The exam is more stressful though. It took me 10-15 mins longer to finish each block than nbme. Some Qs looks scary at the first glance, but are very easy. Such as when they test for adrenal hyperplasia, they give the whole pathway in chemical forms and at the same time labled everything!
I picked up a habit 3 days before exam when I did the USMLE CD, which is the make off/high light function. I never find it useful when I did practace Qs, but I used it a lot during the test. Also there are 3-5 Qs in a block that I can confidently answer by just reading the last two sentences, saved me some time...

I would really like to thank the forum and all the nice souls here, hope you can all get a good score and crash this exam.
Congratulation, you end this exam wishing you stellar score.
Can you tell us more about your preperation materials plz.
Thanx
congratulations. the best score.
did you do NBME? what your score? how about the real test compare with NBME? thanks
I mainly followed Kaplan, 1-2 readings, I also read BRS pathology. First Aid twice. Goljan audio 1.5 times. micro ridiculous once. Some of the Goljan hy 100 pages. Qs I finished UW 100%, kaplan 70%, some of the Q book (Path and anatomy), nbme, USMLE CD. The most helpful, absolute recommended is UW and Goljan audio, others I don't think is that important. Basicly you need to know the things covered by first aid really well, and those review books are a good expansion of that. It took me about 7 months to finish these, with full time job and 4-5hours reading per night, similar on weekend because I need to catch up with sleep and do errand and watched some movies. My UW score was 59%, 3 months before exam. Then Kaplan Q bank 76% cumulative, score did not change toward the end. My nbme score was good, 660 on nbme1, 6 weeks before exam. I could not believe it, and did nbme3 right away, got 650. I did nbme2 two weeks before exam, didn't feel so confident, but had a score of 720. My USMLE CD 3 days before exam was 91%.
Exam some how feel like nbme but one grade more difficult. Feels like you need to make one more turn to get to the answer, so it takes longer to do the Qs . I never thought time would be an issue for me but during the exam, I just could barely finish it.
After the exam, I don't feel like I can improve much with further reading of the review books, I think the exam is really fair. A lot of the Qs which I could not answer, I think a good student who came freshly out of medical school would know it. I do have an advantage that when they ask very basic reasearch related questions, I may know them better than a fresh graduate.
hi salaan good luck,nice post.are you an old grad?if so which year?i want to ace this exam and i just have 4 months of prep time,is it doable?
Yes, 1994. If you have 4 months full time, it's totally doable. Part time is tight, you have to set a good plan for that. You better work very hard and then see how it goes. Don't go to the exam if you are not ready. It's hard to feel ready though, so if you get a good nbme score, just go for it.
Congratulation salan.
I am sure your hard work will give you a big return.
Pray for us.
thx
can you help me to send some goljon's matrial at least 100 pages. i will be thankful to you
can you help me to send some goljon's matrial at least 100 pages. i will be thankful to you
my e mail address is bibachka
This is a link I found on this website, hope it still works: http://www.sendspace.com/file/p4z45n
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »