Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clinical experience-please help - jasminewhite
Ive passed step 1 well and going to do step 2 in a couple of weeks. I came to the USA just after graduation and don't have post graduate clinical eperience. I'm on F2 visa. I'm planing to apply for 2008 match after doing step 3, because I need visa H1B.
But I've heard that I need a state licensure to obtain visa, and to get state licensure post graduate clinical experience is necessary. is this true for all the programs in the US?
When I inquire about this from ECFMG and FSMB they told me to inquire from the programs that I'm interested. But none of the programs replied to my e mails.
I'm so despearte about this because my husband is in the US and I have a baby ( a US citizen) so that I cannot go back and work in my country for a couple of years to gain post graduate clinical experience.
Please any one who has undergone this process or know about this advice me. Both myself and my husband are desperate about my situation i'm ready to work any where in the Us rather than going back
I am not an expert but I think they give you a temporary license and after the first year of residency you can apply for a permanent license.
Anyway do not worry for sure , coz I know for certain that you do not need to have any post graduate experience to get into the residency programs. This I know coz I have seen enough people get into residency just after they graduated from medical school and have their medical degree.
Yes there are many fresh IMGs doing residency here without post graduate clinical experience. But evey one I know didn't have any visa issue
You wont too, coz I know people who need H1B getting into residency with PG experience. Relax and concentrate on your step 2Smile.
"You wont too, coz I know people who need H1B getting into residency with PG experience. Relax and concentrate on your step 2Smile. "

Thank you howard_roark .

I think you meant "without PG experience "
Yes I need to concentrate on step 2 but it PG experience needed I better go home by JUly Sad

Could you please let me know any of those sources which I can find more information regarding that and the formal procedire. Please if can ask from your friends.
Thank you again
Why are u putting unnecessary pressure on yourself? Just relax and finish your step 2 CK and 2CS and then aplly for step 3 asap through the state of Connecticut. In the meantime start applying on the first day Eras opens. Apply only to the programs that sponsor H1B. You can contact some of your School mates or country men already practicing in the USA to allow you to shadow them in their practice to gain some experience on how the US healthcare system work. You will let them know beforehand that you will need them to write some letters of recommendation (LOR ) attesting to your clinical skills to assist you with securing interviews. This has nothing to do with State licensing.

If you are succesfull in your residecny interviews most programs have department that deal with the HIB issues (if not then hire an attorney) and they will also send you parkages that explain how to secure temporary states license. Do not fret over licensing now just concentrate on the exams and then residency interviews and finally residency contracts and temp state licensing. The licensing part is no biggie. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much. I was so woriied without knowing the correct procedure for me. thank you very much sly. your reply helped me a lot to relieve my mind. if possible please send me links to websites that I can get more information.
is it alright to apply ERAS with pending results for step 3?
You are right , I meant "without PG expirence".

The procedure Sly detailed is the one that is usually followed.

As far as I know, you can apply to eras with just one step result, but to register in NRMP you need to be USMLE certified. ( you need step1, step 2 ck, cs for that ). Step 3 is needed mainly for the purpose of securing the H1b visa. you do not need it for Certification also.

The ideal situation regarding Steps if you are planning for H1B would be to have all your step results by the time you put in your ERAS application, i.e around the 2nd of Sept. But if you can not get your step 3 done by then, or have taken it but the result is awaited you can say the same in the application. The interviews usually start around Oct, so in the worst case scenario if you have your result by then its fine too. Therefore do not stress out too much and concentrate on your steps. And like Sly said try to get some observerships while studying for step 3 coz it helps for step3 and also strenghtens you application. Trust on this and study for your step 2 , if you still have doubts think about them after your exam. Your priority now should be your exam. And this part I am certain about, you dont need to go to your home country , so dont panic. All the best .
Thank you very much howard_roark . You relived me a lot . you too sly.
Thank you again. Wish you all the best on your residency
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »