Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tia - ketty
A 74-year-old woman comes to the emergency department because of a 5-hour history of right-sided weakness. The sudden weakness came on while she was giving her husband a bath. She says that she was sure that she was having a stroke because her husband has had 2 strokes in the past, but her symptoms resolved spontaneously before she arrived at the hospital. She is very concerned about her risk for a stroke because her husband is completely dependent upon her for care. She is able to ambulate normally and has no residual functional loss. Her blood pressure is 110/80 mm Hg and pulse is 70/min. Funduscopic examination is normal. A thorough neurologic examination is unremarkable. The most appropriate next step is to

a) Advise her to take a daily aspirin
b) Auscultate the carotid arteries
c) Obtain an MRI of the head
d) Order a carotid sonogram with Doppler
e) Schedule an elective carotid endarterectomy

D. I guss
b...
D...
realdoc is correct...can u provide the explanation pls
if we don't hear any bruit, then won't we go for imaging???
the question asks the most app. next step, therefore we need to complete the PE first since it was not mentioned carotid bruits was heard or not heard. If we don't hear any bruit, and if the clinical suspesion is still high for TIA, we can do doppler , echo, etc. just my 2 cents.
b) is right i think
always read the question. it ask "appropriate next step" .
So you have to finish PE, then consider other exam.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »