Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
q:ulcer or varices? - sveta4
A 28-year-old man who lives in a small rural township is admitted to the hospital because of gastrointestinal bleeding. On admission the patient is pale and has orthostatic hypotension. Hemoglobin concentration is 8 g/dL. His condition is stabilized. Emergent upper endoscopy shows a visible gastric vessel, which is treated appropriately.

Item 1 of 2

17. Specific additional history should be obtained regarding which of the following?

A

) Consumption of alcoholic beverages

B

) Family history of cancer

C

) Source of drinking water

D

) Travel history

E

) Use of tobacco products

Item 2 of 2

18. Which of the following is the most appropriate laboratory study?

A

) Antibodies for Helicobacter pylori

B

) Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin) concentration

C

) Ferritin concentration

D

) Gastrin concentration

E

) Iron concentration
- I was thinking varices b/c ulcers don't bleed so massively?then we need his B12?
Ulcer, ulcer can bleed profusely depending on the size of the artery eroded, actually, if endoscopy find a blood vessel at the bottom of the ulcer, the patient should go through emergent cauterization to prevent bleeding, otherwise, it is malpractice to let the pt go.
A
?D
so is it A for both???
A for #2 good,

in #1 what is the most common cause of ulcer-ETHOh or smoking???I would go
with smoking-E
smoking doesn't cause ulcers....it only delays healing....important fact.
thanks zafirlukast
Family history of cancer
Antibodies for Helicobacter pylori
I don't know what's the reference of "zafirlukast",but I 'm sure that :in "gastric" ulcer NO evidence indicate that alcohol predisposing,on the other hand smoking play a facultative role in H.pylori infection .
E & A
smoking has a stronger relationship with the development of PUD....ucan searchit on
Pub Med.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »