Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exam in 3 weeks - Help with NBME FORM 1 Questions - diwaliboy
Please help me figure out the concept behind the following questions from NBME form 1:

Block 1

#44: How in the world do you calculate which will accumulate the most in the largest amount at equilibrium? Can you show me how to solve this?

Block 2

#2: How is this marrow aplasia? There is low TIBC, so this can be due to Anemia of Chronic Disease. In this type of anemia, there is abnormal function of iron even though there is lots in the bone marrow, its just low in the serum levels. I would think the answer would be "abnormal utilization of iron". Any thoughts?

#8: Focal Segmental Glomulerosclerosis shows IgG and C3 deposits in the glomerular basement membrane. So why is the answer Membranous Glomerulonephritis? How can you differentiate which one is the correct answer based on the stem?

#25: A clone of cancer cells is resistant to vincristine, doxurubicin, and dactinomycin. They are not resistant to Methotrexate. What is the mechanism of resistance? Can someone please explain the concept behind it to me.

Block 3

#39: A woman in her twenties has a 1-week history of increased urinary frequncy, dysuria, and intermittent suprapubic pain. Which gram-negative bacilli likely caused this, and why?

Block 4

#13: What is the correct way to calculate the filtration fraction from the plasma and urine values given? Can you show me a step by step calculation of it?

#16: What gram "+" bacteria can you get from a dental operation of gingivitis? X-ray of it shows that you present with enlarged cardiac silhouette.

#22: Which antimicrobial agent is most likely to be administered orally for treatment of potentially serious systemic infection because of its predictable bioavailability: amphotericin B, ciprofloxacin, gentamicin, polymyxin B, or vancomycin? And why?

#44: Grandparent has autosomal dominant disease. Don't know if the son has it. What's the risk the grandaughter has it? The answer was 25% .. but I want to know how this was figured out?

Thank you so much!!
Block 2 q2: in anemia of ch disease ,prolonged state of systemic inflamation leads to sppression of erythropoiesis and sequestration of iron in storage compartment.the cause is release of IL1,TNF and iterferon alpha, So decrease erythropoietin wil lead to aplastic marrow.
q8: in membranous GN there are deposits of IgG and C3 and it wil giv spike and dome appearance.while in focal segmental IgM and C3 and only some areas are involved.
block3q39:E.coli.small urethra.near to bowel plus sexual activity.
block4q16; strep mutans(salivarus)
q44 autosomal dominant occur in every generation .if one generation doesnt show that means incomplete penetrance.so next generation has the chance of 25%.
16> it is the strep virridians.....
39> moslty is E.coli it is assiciated with bladder infection.
block 2q25: Vincristine,dactinomycin and dauxorubicin moa of resistance is increased eflux of drug coz of p glycoprot in cell memb.while with methotrexate cells hav to make more enzyme DHFR by gene amplification.
thanks guys for ur input. any help with the rest please?? my time is ticking!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »