Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rx of scoliosis - zarah
Screening:
-------------
The simplest screening test is to ask the patient to bend and observe the back from behind to look for any deformity. X-ray of spine, AP and lateral are further useful to establish the diagnosis, rule out other structural deformities and to measure the Cobb’s angle (angle of curvature of scoliosis).

Rx;
------
Treatment is aimed at controlling the curve progression. The available options are:

Careful observation with follow-up in patients with mild curve (< 20 degree). Scoliosis tends to progress till the skeletal growth is achieved so careful follow-up to assess the rate of progression of scoliosis is needed.

Bracing is needed if the initial curve at diagnosis is more than 30 degree or it shows more than 5 degrees of progression in follow-up studies of mild scoliosis.
For patients with curve between 20-30 degrees, the choice between observation and bracing should be made based on the presence of rotational deformity and positive family history in which case a more aggressive approach is recommended.

Surgery is generally needed for curves more than 40 degrees
at initial diagnosis.
Well summarized UW Zarah, thanks. My exam is July 30, when is yours? Smile
u r welcome floridaguy,was reviewing questions so thought to post some things...best of luck for ur exam...u'll surely do very well....Smile)...i still hav to take an nbme,only then i'll decide....
Good decision. I'm sure you'll do well, you have a good head on your whoulders. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »