Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H1 B and Step 3 - newmexico
I intend to take and pass step 3 before June '08. Are programs prepared to wait for me to pass before June or am I stuck with J-1 ?
Please advice, dorsalroot
it'd hard and I will tell you why. You will need at least two months to apply for H1B (their petition) before you start. So you should've have your Step 3 done by the time you match so they can move forward with the petition right away.
First question is, have you already cleared FCVS? if not hurry it takes them AT LEAST 12 weeks to certify everything (sometimes more it took us 16 b/c they lost the documents once). If you already have it cleared then you are fine to go. Get ready and take Step 3 make sure you'll get the results by march.

If this is not possible, then the option that you may have is try to apply for a postgraduate position in research, delay your match for a year and get an H1B thought the research lab (sometimes hard but doable). Aim to match for 2009 while doing your year of PG-research take Step 3, then you can go through the match and take a position already knowing that they can sponsor your H1B. The only other option is if the program is willing to do H1B and they ad. this, then they might wait for you. Sometimes (not very often and less often now that they are increasing the cost of visas) the program is willing to pay for the expedited fee ($1500) in your behalf (you can't pay for it they have to do it...) and you will get the H1B within a month if all your req's are met. Also make sure that you have a state/region that will be compatible with other states or else you're stuck with a specific area in terms of matching.

Good luck

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »