Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hy 2 - guest1
A Bicornuate uterus, which prevents a woman from fertility, is caused by what?

Complete formation and differentiation of the müllerian ducts into the segments of the female reproductive tract depend on completion of 3 phases of development as follows:

1)Organogenesis: One or both müllerian ducts may not develop fully, resulting in abnormalities such as uterine agenesis or hypoplasia (bilateral) or unicornuate uterus (unilateral).

2)Fusion: The process during which the lower segments of the paired müllerian ducts fuse to form the uterus, cervix, and upper vagina is termed LATERAL fusion. Failure of fusion results in anomalies such as BICORNUATE or didelphys uterus. The term VERTICAL fusion occasionally is used to refer to fusion of the ascending sinovaginal bulb with the descending müllerian system (ie, fusion of the lower one third and upper two thirds of the vagina). Complete vertical fusion forms a normal patent vagina, while incomplete vertical fusion results in an imperforate hymen.

3) Septal resorption: After the lower müllerian ducts fuse, a central septum is present, which subsequently must be resorbed to form a single uterine cavity and cervix. Failure of resorption is the cause of septate uterus.
correct.....other terms you can find in options may be

.it is due to the incomplete fusion of the PARAMESONEPHRIC ducts.

thanx okt3
URW guest1, thanks for remminding me the physiopath.
well I had in the clinic (back home, i mean not in USA)one pregnant lady with bicornuate uterus ( 1 in each uterus), she had high blood pessure, asymetric pelvis, ...
She came to the clinic because she was bleeding and we did a c-section .

To make the history short, sometime you see SURPRISE eventhough in the literature A Bicornuate uterus prevents a woman from fertility.
wow that must be interesting.....i mean not for the patient but for us as students i think its great to see something in reality what is just book based learning for us. Great experience I must say.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »