Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME2, section3, Q10 - mlt
A 45-year-old woman with rheumatoid arthritis calls the physician on a Saturday morning because she cannot turn the bathroom faucet due to pain and weakness in her hands and wrists. She is tearful and says, "My husband has already left for work and my hands are too weak to turn the water on. It hurts too much and now I can't even take a bath." Which of the following is the most appropriate response?

A) "Come to the office right away and I will give you a cortisone shot."
B) "I know this must be difficult. Perhaps a plumber may be able to help you."
C) "I sympathize with you. Unfortunately, it looks like only option is to wait until your husband comes home."
D) "Many people with RA have difficulty turning faucets. Perhaps you would be interested in joining a support group."
E) "People with RA often feel that their independence has been lost because of their pain. Perhaps using a tool with a long handle would help."

*What is the concept? Thanks.
E,
ans. A on the downloaded form.
Is this right??
seems to me, ts A
agree with you guys...A seems correct...

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic48.htm
Last Updated: July 13, 2006
Author: Randall W King, MD,

* In patients with known disease, increased pain, edema, and dysfunction are characteristics of rheumatoid flare (exacerbation). Flares may be local or systemic in nature. Laboratory evaluation may reveal elevation in acute phase reactants. Treatment consists of rest, NSAIDs, DMARDs, short courses of steroids (2-4 wk), and possibly intraarticular steroid injections. Pain relief is important and may necessitate short-term use of narcotic analgesics.

salam bro, ramadan mubarack.

This one is tricky, "calls the physician on a Saturday morning ", they put saturday morning to make answer A wrong because all office are closed, in case of emmergency your PCP will ask you to call 911 and go to ER.

Best answer is E, I explained already when doublessing posted this one a few days back.

Hope this make sens

Hello Okt3...ramadan moubarak bro too...Wink nice to see you...
this question makes me crazy...Smile) i changed my answer 3 times...Wink and i m still not sure about the answer....Smile
People(with PHD) in Philadelphia are payed to make our live miserable.
Do u agree at least, saturday morning you have to go to ER no office open even if you are there, no others ? So A is wrong?
is there any guideline or helpline regarding this sort of que?
Thanks all of your discussion.
I'll look up for it and post here when it become clear.
Best regards,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »