Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
problems faced after pathology residency ......... - nami
Dear Forum members,

I need your advice .I am a foreign medical Grduate and applying for pathology residency programs.I donot have a visa and need h1 or j1 .

My friends have told me not to go to pathology as it is almost impossible to get a waiver after j1 in a pathology
residency.

They say that it is very rare that somebody after j1 will get a waiver unlike IM oR other fields.

also after h1 since you donot have a green card ,it is impossible to get a job.

PLEASE GUIDE ME IS IT REALLY TOUGH TO GET A WAIVER AFTER J1 OR JOB AND GREEN CARD AFTER H1????

I donot want to waste my hard work going into a field where after working 4 years I find I have no job ,no waiver and have to go back to my country

I am scared as it has already happened to my class mate.He did his residency from a very good university in MA and despite having contacts and links ,he failed to get a waiver and a job and ended up going back to his country.
also I have heard that already the job market in pathology is tight after green card ,??

Please any body reply as I am thinking of going in to FM OR IM As atleast I would have job security as well as waiver after residency.
your replies are welcome .am really confused ???/
and have been so turned off from pathology

any body????
my friend is a citizen and finished his pathology residency last year...he searched a lot for a job in his area and after a long search, he found a temporary research job in a university for 6 months! I think you are probably right, finding job, espescilly if you need visa could be a serious problem...many of pathologists after finishing their residency should finish 1-2 fellowships t ba able to find their desire job.
this is not true. don't get discouraged by people who think you are their competition.
and most of the waivors are specified to primary care specialities, as a pathologist only a few extraordinary graduates may be able to get a waivor these days.
yes waiver might be very difficult in path. The best option that I see for you is to take ure step 3 and ask for H1B visa. If they dont give u a H1b then go on with J1 and apply for a waiver it might be possible to rope in a federal program after years of residency. Rules keep on changing here and no one can be sure whats the right thing.
search for it yourself dear donkey...this is true....go to the websites for physician's job findings and search for pathology...call one or two of them and ask them if they can sponsor H1 for you or not...also check their requirements...then compare it to FM job openings regarding of the number and requirement and visa sponsorship. This very simple...just take 30 minutes of your time.
whatabout job scenario if one is a gc holder or citizen?
i don't have 30 minutes. Why don't you post some links here to support your claims?
one of the most popular sites for physician job finding:
http://www.nejmjobs.org/ available job positions: FM:56 IM:189 Pathology: 1 !!! also compare the requirements...
or for pathology jobs you may visit :
http://www.physemp.com/physician_jobs/al..._jobs.html
read the requirements...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »