Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
colon cancer - josh888
patient's father died of colon cancer. When do you screen (by doing colonoscopy) the patient? Is it at 40 years old and repeat it every 3-5 years? Or at 40 years old and repeat every 10 years?
How old was the father when he died???

People with a first-degree relative (parent, sibling, or child) with colon cancer or adenomatous polyps diagnosed at age <60 years or 2 first-degree relatives diagnosed with colorectal cancer at any age should be advised to have screening colonoscopy starting at age 40 years or 10 years younger than the earliest diagnosis in their family, whichever comes first, and repeated every 5 years (see Table 3 in the original guideline document).

People with a first-degree relative with colon cancer or adenomatous polyp diagnosed at age >60 years or 2 second-degree relatives with colorectal cancer should be advised to be screened as average risk persons, but beginning at age 40 years.

Klebsiella
i absolutely agree with klebsiella.
So in this case the father died of colon CA at the age of 63. What will you advise the patient?
If he died at 63 he was likely diagnosed before 60...,maybe then I would go with screening at 40 with follow-up every 5 years.

josh how are you?? Will repsond to your email when I get home tonight.

Klebsiella.
Im still the same.. no change...

This is what i know, do it every 5 years.. But UW says, do it every 10 years.. And in the explanation it did not mention to do it every 10 years if the father was diagnosed at the age of 60 years old or more.. or do it every 5 years if the father was diagnosed less than 60 yo.

quite confusing..
This question is from GI or HEM/ONC section my friend.

Klebsiella
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »