Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question 7 - kalinka
20. You have just returned from a trip out of town and learn that your long-time patient with end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease has been hospitalized and is on a ventilator. On the way to the intensive care unit to visit him, you are informed that the patient has just died. On your way into the patient's room you meet the patient's 68-year-old wife. Which of the following is most appropriate to say to her?

A

) "How do you feel?"

B

) "I am sorry for your loss."

C

) "I know you are upset."

D

) "What happened while I was gone?"

E

) "Your husband didn't suffer."

BB
B..
BBBBBBB
I chose a , we have to start the conversation from something not just jump with the news, am I wrong. And the guy who got 630 chose "d"
how do u think she feels when her hubby is gone? is it something to ask?

and we can look in to the causes after we have sympathized with the wife. or some one straight away wants to bombard her with the questions without sharing her greivence?
You are right but I thought what if she doesn't know about his death yet??
Its D. The pt. just died. You have just been told that the pt. died. You don't know whether the pt's wife has been told and you meet her as u r walking towards the ICU. So you will not say that you are sorry for her loss without first informing her. Again you don't know if she has been informed. So how do you find out...by getting her to talk. So you ask her...What happened while I was gone? And she will tell you what she knows. If she has been informed you say sorry. If she has not been informed yet, then you might have to do it yourself. So you can't offer condolences before knowing if she knows about her husband's death. This situtation is within a timeframe of 2-3 mts. Resident treating the pt. at the time of death maynot have got the chance to inform the family yet.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »