Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 1 :A 47-year-old man is admitted - khushigrover
46. A 47-year-old man is admitted to the hospital after threatening to harm a radio announcer he believed was broadcasting his thoughts. Over the past 20 years, he has had multiple psychiatric hospitalizations for threatening people who he believed were plotting against him, trying to control his mind, or causing him to hear voices by implanting devices in his head. Past symptoms improved with neuroleptic therapy; after discharge, he discontinued the medication and his symptoms worsened. Which of the following is the most appropriate pharmacotherapy to decrease this patient's risk for future hospitalization?

A
) Clozapine

B
) Fluphenazine hydrochloride

C
) Haloperidol decanoate

D
) Risperidone

E
) Trifluoperazine hydrochloride
cc
why cant we give clozapine to this pt.............
becoz he is not reliable n halo can be given as im injections.thats what i think ..coorect me if wrong
ya,i think u can be right bcoz this pt is not resitant to his medication in which case clozapine is the last resort............
he doesnt have good compliace............so haloperidol can be given...........
?????????
B Haloperidol n fluphenazine are the 2 drugs given in such non compliant pts with schizo.H/ever fluphenazine is more long acting than haloperidol
CCCCC....Lynna is right in saying that haloperidol and fluphenazine both are right choices...however in depot form...here only haloperidol is in depot form...and has a half life of a month....fluphenazine hydrochloride has a half life of 24hr....however...if it would have been fluphenazine decanoate ...than that will be the answer
wow darkhorse ur tooo good
thanx for ur such a good explanation........
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »