Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tricky question for USMLE gurus. - nicholas
Hello guys,

Probably most ppl don't know but I'll ask anyway. Is there any state where you can get a license without being fully licensed back home?

I will join a program in NYC this summer and I will lack 6 months of family medicine in my home country which means I'm not a licensed physician back home even though I have graduated almost a year ago. I could do this 6 months and apply for next years match if this is a problem, but of course I'd like to start in the US as soon as possible.

Thanks,
I don't get your question. Do you want to practice those 6 months in your home country?
No, I'd rather not. If I don't have to. I don't intend to come back. But I have a fear that I might start in my residency in NYC and suddenly they realise I'm not fully licensed back home and then I have to quit or something.

It's hard to understand the licensing rules in New York, but it seems like you are required to be a licensed physician in your home country to get a license in NY. And in my country we unfortunately have to work for a total of 18 - 21 months in surgery, medicine, psych and family medicine after graduation to become licensed physicians. When I start my residency July 1 I will only have worked for 12-15 months after graduation back home so I won't be licensed..
VERY IGNORANT QUESTION YOU do not have to be licenced in your third world country to start a residency
Haha, it's not a third world country. And I have actually read a paragraph somewhere that you have to have unrestricted rights to practice medicine in your home country or something similar.
hmm, to do residency here, you do not need a state license when you start residency because you will be working under the license of your attendings. i know of friends who did not even take a licensure exam back home but are still doing residency here in the US. my husband is doing residency here in New York. he took step 3 in california and as far as I know, he does not have a NY medical license.

you will be fine, don't worry. i think for all programs here in the US, their only requirement is that you graduated from medical school- which you did : )
ask your program coordinator if you want to be sure.
And try to polish your attitude if you wish to match this season.
to hypersexual that is. Thanks ratatouille.
By the way, do you think there would be any chance to postpone the residency for half a year or start the next year or something like that?
Why don't you ask this qs to people from your home country doing residency in NYC...there are a lot for sure..they should know
GL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »