Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone with hints: - epos
what is the association b/n COPD and duodenal ulcer?
read your pathology kaplan.
If You have difficulty in understanding email me on korgen34.
i will help You.
Did you get the answer?
can u plz explain??
The presence of GER symptoms appears to be associated with increased exacerbations of COPD.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a common esophageal disorder; 40% of the US adult population have symptoms monthly.1 Microaspiration of gastric contents and/or vagal nerve-induced bronchospasm from gastric acid irritation of the esophagus may contribute to the observed association between GERD and pulmonary disease or symptoms. In this regard, pulmonary diseases associated with GERD may include pneumonia, pulmonary fibrosis, asthma, or chronic bronchitis.234 The latter may be a manifestation of COPD, suggesting that GERD may be a risk factor for acute exacerbation of COPD.

Acute exacerbations of COPD are a major cause of morbidity and mortality in patients with COPD.
An acute exacerbation of COPD is defined by the presence of worsening dyspnea, increased sputum production, or the development of purulent sputum, and may be accompanied by hypoxemia and worsening hypercapnia.78910 Patients with COPD have, on average, 2.4 to 3 acute exacerbations per year.91011 Risk factors for acute exacerbations include airway irritation from active smoking,312 environmental factors,131415 and/or upper respiratory tract infection.13 In this regard, microaspiration of gastric contents and/or vagal irritation from gastroesophageal reflux (GER) may constitute airway irritants and thus represent a potential pathogenic mechanism for acute exacerbations of COPD. On this basis, we theorized that in patients with COPD, GER may represent a risk factor for acute exacerbations of COPD. To test this question, we classified COPD patients according to the presence or absence of GER symptoms, and assessed the number of COPD exacerbations for the previous year.

I hope that this help.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »