Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 Pre Matched !! with 78,79 scores. Praise GOD - themadmike
i told you that i recieved the first 6 for family medicince and ONLY 2 for internal med....but i wasted almost $2000 dollars.... thats a lot of money... 100 places 8 interview is only like 8 percent.. I got turned down for interviews more than 80 times !!!!!!!!!!

the other 4 that came later on were ONLY for family medicince, and they were mostly out of state... down the west coast... and they came LATE.. around January 1st and 2nd week....

but glad to see that you believe that its possible...... Smile

I only bothered to write back to you because there are a lot of people that are sufferign in these boards... they work hard and hard only to feel disapointed. I only wanted to help them out....

I wish you can all call my program director to verify but that wouldnt be prudent.....

And getting residency is not just about doing sometihng clinically.

for instance... a lot of people simply apply to the WRONG PLACES....

I spoke to a few of you today , who told me privately that they applied to do residency in NEW YORK... which is a HUGE mistake. WHY? Because, there is an over flood of applications in new york hospitals.... hospital like Harlem Hospital (10 years ago was considered on of the worst programs) but they ahve recived 4000 applicants this year. And last year they recieved 3500... if you don't believe me call them ...

here is the number (212) 939-1406 Program Director: Linnea Capps, MD

thats 4000 applicants for 9-10 spots !!!!! thats ultra competitive..... If people would apply out of the state, and to hospitals that are outisde they would increase there chances. DO you know that if you fail your step 1 more than 3 times, you can't apply in new jersey , because I requist to get medical license requires you to take step 1 no more than 3 attempts... but someone who doesnt know this apllies and deosnt get in....

its not one single factor that gets you in residency.. you have to work hard do yoru research, and talk to others... and the most important thing is to have faith in GOd.

take care

good luck in the future

mike

here is a list of someone of the state board requirements

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html?
congrats!!!Doctor..I hate when Doctors here tell people that if the don't have scores above 90 would imposible, however you experience doesn't sorprise,,i have a friend with 81,77,
cs she also got prematch...praise the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!
themadmike! congratulation, Did you get USCE (externship or Observership or research experience?)? Please share your IV experience. Thanks.
i have done clinical research in new york colmbia university... but didn't help much...externship helped a lot.. i spoke to two program directors and they don't like observationship... although you might find a few programs that are ok with observantionship. but these are proabably more west coast central us...

congratulations themadmike!!!!
i hope you could share to me how many months is your externship? and what rotation? how much did you pay? how did you apply for? ...i want to do IM too, but unfortunately i have multiple attemps, this sounds ridiculous but i hope i you will be a help for me, i will do whatever it take just to get a spot either this year or next year...pls help and guide me on that exyernship you are talking about...email me pls?
thanks
mistake_nohope
new jersey state law doesn`t allow observerships/externships!!!!!!!!
Hi mike. I can never tell you how thankful I am for your story. I was supposed to apply this year but due to a few setbacks, I postponed it for the next match. Anyway, I'm really very happy for you. I also have gotten a low score in Step 2, and am waiting for my CS result. Like you I never lost faith in God and through all the hardships in this journey, I know that He has always been there. Your post just made my faith stronger.

I don't care if whether what other people here say about you is true or not. I have nothing to lose in believing, and I do. I know everything will come in God's time.

Congratulations to you. May you be the best doctor you can be.

virtuoso
karan, I do not agree with you. You can do observership in NJ. I know it for sure!!!
why are people so upset with Mike's story??? I don't get it... just be happy that he got it. We are all stressed but there is no reason to put someone else down..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »