Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MA or Research ---Please need ur advice/experience - doyoudig
Hey Guys
I am really confused and need some advice. But let me give u some more info on the MA job that was offered to me

It is working as a Back n Front Office Medical Assistant at a senior care medical center. There are 7 doctors in that office with different specialties, ER, IM mostly. One also works partly at a hospital. They have another clinic they want me to also work, so I may go there at times. pays $14/hr (not very much to live on)

Reasearch is related to Dementia ....Alzheimers. It includes taking neuro testing on elderly population, including travel to follow up on clients 90+ every 6 motnhs. Neuro testing such as MMSE and other test such as blood test guided by a protocol. This is a UCI, CA University/Medical based research team funded by the NIH. Its not all clinical per se but some clinical test as mentioned before.

The Problem I am facing now is that the MA job was offered to me but it pays very little compared to the Research position (41000/year)., which I am not sure I will get yet. I do still have opportunity to get into UCI temporary staffing position which also opens up opportunities for internal positions at UCI.
I have to decide by tomoorow on the MA job and no idea how long or if I will even get the Research position. I am afraid to loose the opportunity on the MA even though it pays little

My biggest dilemma is what will look best on my resume eventually down the road. What do residency hopsital prefer as applicants. An MA job experience which may or may not lead to other experience with these 7 doctors or the research position which I may or may not get.

I need all your expertise and experiences please, which is much appreciated.........
Research is better than a MA job. Most hospitals look at the applicants with research background.
hope it helps.
hey dreamdoc, is that from ur own experience, or have u heard this from other docs?
do you know any site that give advice on this topic?

thx in adcance...
doyoudig, it depends whether the program's emphasis is on clinical experience or research. some would consider MA job as clinical exposure (although it is not a formal one). university programs usually like research experience.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »