Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
st. vincents, CT, -------ufoufo----------- - needforspeed457
Hi ufoufo
i saw your post regarding this place, could you shed some more info on this hospital, i know you mentioned that the hospital is in ghetto but do they send any ranking mails, etc.. and how is the program, the faculty. any input will be greatly appreciated.
yeah they do send ranking emails but i don't know if they did this time, perhpas somebody else can help you out with that since i didn't get any............
its a small size hospital, no night float so tough hours, but its a ok program. facutly is ok, not much teaching, whatever u can learn from your own time, not to many ppl get into fellowships because its a community hospital so if you are looking to get into fellowships than go for univ. program, this is a decent program for primary care. the biggest disadvantage is the area, especially if you are a female than i would not recommend it at all. they have apartments for rent across the street for about 700$ for 1 bedroom but u can get a nicer 1 bedroom for about 1200$ in a much nicer area but in bridgeport, housing is cheap becuase its not safe and most of the city is complete ghetto but if you go to the next town, it gets very expensive like 1200-1400$ for an apartment. i hope it helps. if anybody else knows about this program, plz u can share your view.
Don't they have night float system? Are you sure?
They Don't.
Oh, and they DO send ranking letters
What's weird though is that 100% of the graduating group got really cool fellowships in Boston and the New York area. The current chief resident got a Nephro Fellowship in Tuft's. A couple of them got cardio in Uconn, etc. but all of them had fellowships. Pretty impressive for a Community Hospital. The Pulmonary and critical care faculty are Yale-trained and are the best you can get anywhere. They are only in Bridgeport because they are being paid the highest amount you can get anywhere.Other faculties are so-so. The Hospital's financial position is excellent because it is privately owned. The disadvantage is, because of the significant number of private patients exposure and commitment to teaching is not as high as in county hospitals. Some residents there cannot take the stress of the long call due to the abscence of the night float system.And they do not offer prematches.
thats not true. i know couple of 3rd years, they did not get into any fellowships, only about half get it every year and you really have to struggle for it since it is a community hospital that means doing extra from day one, from your intern year. only one pulmonary is yale grad and he is descent and the other one sucks big time as per my intern friend. teaching is below average, like you really have to do your own homework most of the times since it is a private hospital and private attendings usually do not like to teach since for them, time is money and they are too busy running around between hospitals to get as many patients as they can. the biggest pitfall is the private attendings. you can not manage your private patients, as most of the patients are private in that hospital. you will have to follow what each priavate attending tells you, you really can't make you own decisions otherwise you will get burn big time from those private attendings so in reality, you learning curve is not all that sharp since they treat you mostly as secretery. again, hospital is in good financial position but i would rather go for a program where i learn to manage my own patients from day one rather than carrying some body's order over the phone 70% of the times.
Hi needforspeed457,
did you get their ranking email? i heard from a friend who got it.
ufoufo, damn bro, u have a lot of friends in medicine LOL. every time i see ur post it's always "i know a friend who goes there, i know a friend who got that......" dunno wut to believe
doc2bb, i been around for a while but am new to the forum so if i m trying to help out, you shouldn't have problem with it. if you don't want to believe something than please don't take it the heart and just do whatever your mind tells you to do. i wish you all the best, and yeah, i do have alot of friends in tri-state area and i know most of the programs in NY/CT very well. GL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »