Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passed 87/211 - mdnet
I have been silent observer of this forum and feel I should give some input before I sign out forever.

Step 3 - 87/211

nbme- 460 2 months before the exam

UW 68% timed

read crush and first aid cover to cover once

I have a lot of clinical experience in the USA but I think any clinical experience is good enough. Medicine is medicine anywhere in the world.

This test is hard. You have to take it seriously. I studied on and off for 2 months (Very on and off). Week before slowed down and was tired of all the reading so concentrated only on weak areas that I saw in NBME. I could have studied a lot more but just wanted to get this test done.

First day had first three blocks of questions very easy. Clinical experience makes a huge difference in this test. Questions got progressively more difficult as I went on. Time was not an Issue except on the middlle block which questions were way too long. My last five questions I read very fast and placed quick answer. I went home tired but with good feeling. Overall questions where like UW but easier 50%. Other 50% vague questions where I think clinical experience makes a difference.

Second day I thought questions where a bit harder but I thought the questions were fair. Cases went surprisingly well. Most cases ended in 6 to 8 minutes exept one case where I kept asking for ERCP for pt. but pt took long time to improve.
For ccs you can do first aid and it should be enough depending on individual clinical experience.

How to pass?
Looking back one should stick to the basics. I did not see any rare/zebra conditions in the test. All of it was bread and butter internal medicine, ob/gyn, peds ...etc. You have to know the basics well and you should be able to read the question fast and know the dx when you are done reading. I myself read the answers first very fast and then read the question. It worked for me but it may not work for other test takers as we are all different. Time management is vital you must read fast and think fast.

For ccs I suggest lots of practice with the cd. I practiced the day before but did read all ccs from firs aid. these are common sense cases. None are complicated and I believe they just want you to manage the pt and you should be fine. If the case finishes early its because you did very well or the pt is dead.

I would do UW again if I had to do it all over again. Cant comment on kaplan or whatever is available in the net. Never did anything else and dint care about it. Step 3 test your basic skills with basic medical conditions with multitude of vague questions.

I reccomend NBME exam. Questions are the most similar in content but in test some are longer. I do not know if there is really a correlation between the scores from practice exam and real exam.

This is what worked for ME. Let me make it clear it may not be for other test takers. I am sure other test taker have done it in different way, passed and that fine with me.

Guys, good luck and study hard. Test is hard but it can be passed.
please dont ask for test questions or cases. People that do that are just asking for trouble . I am traveling so may take long time to answer.
Good luck!!!!!!

Congratulations!

You did 68% on UW, which is very good. Was this only unused questions, or did you include a second pass over wrong questions?
I did UW once 68%. Then did all the wrong ones and marked questions once again. Averaged about 100 questions per day. Finished UW in about 16-18 days during my vacation(unused questions+wrong and marked). The questions are harder than the test. Some questions I agree with the rest of the forum where just too detailed. I didn't get exact repeat questions in the test but the concept of some of the questions where the same. In general I was very dedicated to UW and then went on to procrastinate a bit after my nbme test results.
MDNET
Congratulations! You deserve that good score! Thanks for sharing it!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »