Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scramble is NOT the end of season ... Read this - doclk
I interviewed with 23 hospitals (all categorical IM positions) last year. Ranked 21 (didn't rank 2 programs) and still went UNMATCHED.

Although I got one interview during scramble AtlantiCare, wasn't offered a position either.

After I lost all hope for finding a position last year, surprisingly I got this magical phone call offering me a position a couple of weeks after the match week from the hospital whom I DID NOT even rank. Ofcourse I gladly took the position not willing to risk going for 2008 match - when they offered it to me on the last week of March. From the choice of words of the PC, they obviously knew I didn't match - she asked "are you still looking for a position"...

So, for all those unmatched, udpate your ERAS profile with correct phone number and pray to god...

If you dont mind, may we know which hospital is this?
Lucky person!!!
hi,

what are your credentials?

tks!
This story is one in ten billion. Chance is even lower than hit Mega or Powerball lottery.
Yup, spots do open up throughout the year. Each year several new programs get accredited and they need residents. If you think about how many thousands of residents there are, several of them are bound to get fired or leave.

My friend did not Match in 2007 and got a spot in October. However, I would not count on "them calling you" as doclk said. You should be aggressive. Look for spots on the Resident Swap website, the AAFP Hotline, and send your CV to closed closed programs to put on file in case an unexpected opening occurs.
lauraf,

thanks for the tips
How can anyone have 23 interviews and not match? If you've been invited 23 times, that means you have something great in your CV; then all 23 programs forget to rank you...Also after 5 interview, you should know the most likely questions and how to answer them...I'm trying to figure it out...just thinking out loud...
Thanks for the advice doclk.

I will keep my my ERAS updated, but I think that lauraf's approach of being aggressive may be more fruitful. Thanks guys for the advice!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »