Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to elba, bdj, darkhorse & others-I am feeling low - rifampicin
Dear Friends,
I went for eye exam on Monday and I was told that my cup/disc ratio is increased but IOP , peripheral field of vision and corneal thickness are normal.
Provisional Diagnosis- Open angle glaucoma
The ophthalmologist is still not sure and she has called me after six months for review.
I am so tensed that I have not studied for past four days .I don't know that this has happened because of continuous studying.
I am always reading now about glaucoma from books and internet. Sometimes I repent on my decision of coming to US after leaving my field of Anesthesiology at my home country.
One of my college senior who is already practicing here at US as Rheumatologist had the similar increased cup/disc ratio for the past 6-7 years but till date no problem in vision. He says that this increase is because of continuous studying and it does not progress further . But I am presently feeling so low and depressed that I am not able to study. I don't know what GOD has written in my destiny.
I am always thinking worst consequences like peripheral vision loss and total blindness. I don't what will be my fate.
Hi... I think you should try to stay calm and pray for your vision.

I think that now a days the diagnosis of glaucoma or glaucoma suspect¨ is very well done and also the early diagnosis is possible with the use of OCT and other tests. Its very good that you dont have any symptoms and that you feel ok... just keep up with your appointments and probably-hopefully your cup-disk ratio wont get worse...

blessings.
Agre with joannitam, just would like to add this.

Try to reduce the work on your eyes...so if you are preparing for steps use the video as much as possible, to avoid your eyes all the time in front of the computer or right over the book.

Try to listen a lot.....instead to read a lot

Maybe as strategy can be, somebody can read your books and record the voice, so you just have to keep repeting.

But most of all....do not lost your faith.
hi rifampin
do'nt b so much tense nothing wil happen withur eyesigt just pray to God and trust him.take prophylatic measures ,like add vit A in ur diet , etc
Don't repent for ur desicion bcoz every thing is done by God ,it wil b some hidden good things which u dont know at moment . B relax,Pl donot think that only u rsuffering ,life is not bed of roses for so many others that u can not imagine its life and we have to compete with it

all my prayeres r for u
GL
Hi Rifampicin,

have faith in GOD....and stay calm.....life is full of turmoils ...ups and downs...but everything will go with time...there will be good days and bad days in life.....we laugh and smile on good days....we should learn to cope with bad days...find out solution....Primary angle closure glaucoma has good prognosis if you are treated.....you normally retain vision all your life.....its good that its detected before significant loss of vision...I had a good friend who had the same problem...unfortunately it was detected quite late.....when he had lost lot of his peripheral field of vision.....inspite of everything his vision is good and is pursuing a successful career......If I were you...I will stay calm...take some rest from studies....do something you like...like sports...hiking....or whatever u do...get the treatment...comply with whats prescribed.....and get back to your studies...I am sure everything will be fine......Wish you all the best and May God Bless You!

Dear Rifampin:
I am by far good at ophtalmology I must admit. However I'm good at lifting spirits up. And to do that I will give you an example by telling you a true story. A few years ago the former Chief of Neurology of hospital "x" started having visual problems. Later on they found out that he was suffering from retinal detachment. Lost most of vision on his right eye but he adjusted. A few years later they found out that he was suffering from macular degeneration on his left eye. At that point he said "I have two roads...inmerse myself in depression and waste my brain...OR adjust again" He chose to adjust again. That was at least 10-12 years ago and although he retired from his position as chair (not due to health issues just because he thought that it was time for him to let somebody younger to take over) he still goes to the Hospital on daily basis, he still is part of the faculty (emeritus) and he still has his own clinic patients. All he needed was to acknowledge his new "limitations" and adjust.

This would've happen here or elsewhere, and let's be honest what better than being in the US where you can receive and select the best place to be treated by the best? Coming to the US was a gift from God so you could be where you deserve to be when this hard time came. If that was due only to studying the incidence of open angle glaucoma we all should have it by now....I've been studying since I was 10 years old. And for the last six years I basically live surounded by books and constantly reading. So I don't think your friend is at all accurate...

Get some rest, and get a good ophtalmologist if you have doubts about diagnosis/tretament. And be positive for God will never ever give us a test that in which we can't succeed. Trust God, and keep up your spirits. I don't know if you are christian, but if you are read the book of Job. It's absolutely inspirational!

We'll be praying for you rifampicin have faith in God almighty. He's there with you!!!
Best
BDJ
Thanks a lot for all the motivational support
i now it s easy said than done
but , you will bw fine
you will be the Anoestesiologist that you used to be

we all have our bad days
i got my cs result and i failed

hope hope hope and
prayers
hey rifampicin
hearty feelings ..and so sorry to hear about u
no one knows what is written for him !!!!no one knows what will happen....
ur trying your best for some improvement in your life by getting higher education and specialty in the states...ur not wasting your time or money....
then what will happen it is all in the hands of GOD!!
nothing much to say...
be realistic not sentimental...don't regret anything u did or decided as far as it is not something forbidden or harmful to u or yourself..and being reading and studying most of the time doesn't mean that u will get this glucoma...other wise most of us will get it because most of us are studying and hardly digging the computers and the books

so brother...keep your eyes safe from harm for a while
keep faith and i read some good advices from other members of this forum
again wish u all the best....and wish your vision to get back to normal

regards and good luck
well rifampicin i understand u becoz i have eye problems too.few months ago i had terrible probs like bacterial keratitis and couldnot read long and had redness itching and was low,and the doctor told me im suspecting glaucoma just as u did read everyhting abt it over net , books and my mind was on only glaucoma. but after i rested and got a second opinion the doctor said u have increase optic to cupratio increased but no IOP raise and did perimetry and was normal so its normal to have increased optic to cup ratio one reason is high myopia. so after all that felt i was the one who caused more probs to my health thinking and reading on net.

pls calm down u dont worry and pray everything is fine.
u willamke it and for u to be here writing usmle then he has better plans for u.

take care
GL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »