Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
great forum people,plz guide for research - cr8ive
1.I need to know ,when you say 6 mth experience in research,then what kind of research work and in which field?

2.Is research experience is considered better than USCE.I mean if i have time what to get will be better?research or USCE??which has more merits.

3.If I can do both ,then 3 mth USCE and 3 mth research wil be better than any single (i mean experience in either one of two)??

thank you.

this can be correctly answered by the PD's of the programs that you are applying to ..
1. a 6 month experience in research will definitely look good on paper.
2. research experience should be validated by publications.
3. usually short term research does not yield high impact publications but nonetheless may enhance your CV
4. several PDs i spoke to knew that IMGs who do MPH, masters in health admin., or health informatics are here for the sake of getting into the system, i donot think the time and money spent into MPH is worth the effort. it may have been a great idea 10 or even 5 years ago but these days PDs see through the applicant.
5. if you want to do research there are 2 avenues - clinical research (data mining, correlative studies, cohort, case control etc) OR basic sciences (genetics, microbiology, immunology, neuroscience, physiology etc). both have their merits but both will be considered greatly if you have a good publication. (6 months might be too short a time to get a first author publication)
6. if your scores are good and you have some USCE and good resarch -- you have a great chance of matching at a university program (not university affiliated also known as community program). thus if you want to match at better programs it is better to have good research background.
7. good scores + USCE ( 6 months is good enough if recent) will definitely help you land a spot in a community program.
8. since the practicality of getting a good publication (first author) precludes one from getting one, i would suggest that in your case USCE would be a better idea.

these are my opinions and no way should be followed without weighing all pros and cons for individual cases. btw: I would like to say that, I am an old grad (2001) but i have excellent research background (PhD, immunology + several publications in high impact journals) and moderate USCE (observership < 4 mo), 99/99/pass and matched into University hospital (12 interviews).
bump
droidor
that is nice post from your side droidr,really informative,thank you
thank you dridor,grat pos indeed,congrats on being matched.
do they need research exp in US or in your native country.I have one yr research +clinical exp in oncology hosp in my own country.does that count too.??
your experience from your home country will definitely be a big plus especially since you have research AND clinical experience in a hospital.
sorry droidor,but i think the experiance bachk home doesnot help to much,i have worked for one year in general surgery program in my country and showed the certifcate to the PD that prove what finished bu it didnot help me to get matched,however ,i think such experiance defently would look nice on your cv
bump
Hello all,

It's a nice discussion you have going. My question is how do you apply anwhere for research especially if you have no research experience from back home? The only thing I have from back home is my medical degree. Any guidance to how to apply for a research position (whether it be a university or a company) would be appreciated. Do we need to get an equivalency for our medical degrees or would getting an ECFMG certificate suffice? Thanks in advance for input.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »