Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pls help answer some questions for applying for su -
joey

Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is doing great and is in best of health, I had few questions about residency in surgery.

1) what is the minimum Usmle step's score required to apply for surgery?

2) what do the directors look for in a candidate, when they look at application?

3) When is the right time to apply?

4) How important is personal statement? is it better to get professional help or do it on your own? if professional who would you recommend?

thanks alot for your help
docespy - docespy

MINIMUM SCORE 82
clinical experience in the US or completed a surgical residency abroad and the desire and need to do surgery and nothing else.Some good LORs really help.
Apply ASAP, you must be in ERAS and the match.
PS needs to be surgically oriented and of course that a professional should at least proofread your PS.
AND above all LOTS ANDS LOTS OF LUCK
TL

Joey, I'm in the same boat. Write me to
jfsarti@iwon.com
I want to share some infromation.
Thanks
joey

thanks docespy, well i have done my step1 and have applied for the step cs and ck in November, do you still think i should apply now or wait till i get my steps out of the way, i have 80 percent score in step1 in first attempt, i was hoping to do lot better but what can you do? i am an img but american citizen. can i still go for surgery or IM is my only option now since my score is not that good for the first step. I had always dreamt of going into surgery i don't know what to do anymore ;(
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »