Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any chance to Neurology residence? - rock_rz

I am an old IMG, graduated in 1995 with a low step 1 score -81, now on my way to CS and CK.

I have been in US for almost 8 years, doing research in neuroscience with not so bad publication record (10 journal articles, and ~30 abstracts)

BUT my step 1 score is so low, I feel not confident at all to apply Neurology residence.

Please, any comments of the chance to get matched? Nowadays, so many 99ers and so many young MDs.

I feel that my chance is so slim.

Thank you for any inputs.
Most programs ask for ≥200 score as baseline in each step for AMGs. You are close though so it may be ok. Although your neuroscience background and good number of publications is an asset to a university based programs most of them "brag" about the fact that they usually fill the positions with AMGs and maybe superb IMGs (what is defined as superb is unclear). I know a friend who matched at LIJ program (before it merged with North Shore). However, this person had superb scores. I think that you have options available but keep open minded with both programs (community/smaller ones) and/or university programs. Aim for gr8 score on step2ck and take step3 before the match....and try to get USCE if you don't have any. Maybe at the place where you're doing your research. Gaps are a drawback but as long as they can be justified (either doing a PhD or research) it may not hurt your application that much
GL
BDJ
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »