Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To pinoys on H1B - pneumothorax
doc_rv, i matched in NY. kaw ba? scorching hot din dun pag summer, and the apartments don't have built in AC, so i have to buy one i guess. haha wala pang sweldo gastos na naman.

have you filled up DS-156 yet? It asks if I intend to work in the US - hehe so since im on an H1, i would have to say yes, right? it IS a working visa after all. J1 ata no sagot nila dun eh, but they get paid din naman for it.
congrats to everyone.

question lang. so you need to get a letter from the PD na you ahve to arrive early? then ito ba ang papakita sa port of entry? tama ba yun?

thanks
upgrad, yung letter ko generic letter lang sa mga new interns but it does indicate that the required orientation will start on june 9. i have no idea if that would suffice.
hello mga kababayan! sorry if this is OT in this thread.

I am compiling a list of Pinoys who got a program this season (whether match, prematch, or postmatch) and last year's season (2007 & 2008) both for residencies and fellowships. I will be tabulating such info and tabulate this.

Since this is a public forum, kindly email me the following info to esokittenkeona :

last name:
first name:
email:
Phil medical school and batch:
US program/hospital:
specialty:
city and state:
match year:

The table will be posted/ uploaded in one of our active local forums for the benefit of those who are aiming for 2009/2010 match season. Please inform your friends too. Thanks!

As soon as I get your email, I will reply back as to where this data will be posted. Those who are going for next year's match, you are welcome to join that forum also if you are not yet a member.
ang dami pala on H1B. Yung sa akin still on it's way, the lawyer just sent me copies of everything that he sent to USCIS, so I'll start counting the 2 weeks. still not panic o'clock for me, kasi matagal pa naman start, june 23 rin start date ko eh.

About the 10 day rule, tinanong ko lahat ng friends ko na natanggap last year na naka-H1B, and wala naman daw sila naging problema getting in. Most of them, July 1 nakalagay sa visa stamp, pero they were able to enter first week of June. Pero like what pneumo said, just to be safe, ask for a letter from the program that you need to be there early- well that's what I'm gonna do.

The down side kasi of having an H1B visa with an earlier date is, baka magkaproblem with the program 3 years later. if you're supposed to graduate on a later date like june 30 or something, and then nakalagay sa h1B mo june 10, then technically, you shouldn't be in the us during that time na hen you graduate...unless you have it renewed or find an new employer who will petition probably a gc, for your work as an attending. I've heard stories about it, and a few older acquaintances na ganun nangyari, pero no big hassles.
thanks soymilk. i guess i have to ask this to the PD and PC.

chipsand, it wont matter. you will renew naman the H1b for another three years so ok lang. as most of us here are in the medical residencies 3 years lang naman and another 2 years for fellowhips so ok lang pasok pa rin within the 6 year maximum rule.
doc_rv- cge: will try that pinoy.md . . . i prematched last feb in Pittsburgh. However, my hospital waited for the results of the match before filing the H1-b as per program policy. I got word from the lawyer retained by the hospital that they filed mine premium processing ng April 15. So thats a big relief for me. Antay-antay ulit, at least gumagalaw na.

soymilk: good to hear about ur friend getting a schedule three days lang from the moment she fixed her sked. According to people I ask, hindi naman daw masikip yung sked for H1 b as compared dun sa mga B1/B2 applicants. My lawyer advised din not to panic kasi reliable naman daw yung site ng travel.state.gov. Mukhang were on time naman.

Pneumo: thanks for the note on your interview. glad to know it went well. Hopefully uneventful dun sa amin na aappear pa lang.

tech: i'll try to fill that up . . . may konting reservations lang. Not that i dont wanna help . . . uso na kasi ngayon ang identity theft lalo na sa US.

With regards to the 10 entry rule: Discretion ng Immigration Officer at the port of entry kung papapasukin ka or not (with or without a note from PD, etc.). A lot (including some batch mates last year) were able to get in without any hassle. However, my lawyer mentioned a case or two na 12 days before the start date pumasok, e pinauwi pa airport to airport. Not that he's scaring me, but the lawyer advised nga to just 'follow' . . . besides whats a few days . . . would you risk that 16-20 hour flight thinking kung papapasukin ka or hindi. Maiintindihan naman ng program kung bat wala ka a few days orientation. Ako rin, kung pwede lang umalis na as soon as the visa is fixed, I would do so. Dami aayusin, apartment, car, ss no., license, etc. Just my 2 cents. Kung may clear rule on this and that we can go earlier, i would prefer that. My orientation starts june 16 too. Pls advise kung may nakakalam as well on this topic.

Asking the consul at the embassy, he/ she would not know too and will just say "ask the immigration officer." Having to change your start date to an earlier one might have repercussions on your 3rd year when you are about to graduate. Hindi kasi automatic na-ire-renew especially kung patapos ka na, as explained by my lawyer.

Sabi nga ng isang popular hit sa youtube, "I don't feel any pressure right noooowwwwww." Just the heat. hehehe
yep, that's what i was referring to...hindi automatic na marerenew yung h1b natin. Since most of us nga 3 year residency lang, most likely we'll get a three year h1b visa validity at least... so technically after that 3 years, the program is over, and also the sponsorship. kaya kung earlier yung date, na nakatatak sa visa, baka di ka umabot sa graduation date. Unless you can get a fellowship/employer who will sponsor naman a new visa, so no problem. This happened to 2 of my friends na medyo nagkaproblema nung third year nila kasi maaga ng 2 weeks nagexpire yung visa before they graduate sa program. buti na lang natanggap sila sa fellowship na nagsponsor ng h1, so parang transfer of sponsorship yung nangyari nung nagrenew sila, somethng like that.

yep, and like what bpdypump said, ang dami aasikasuhin like car/apartment/ssn, kaya ako im planning to be in the US around firs week of june, I can only enter June 13 since my program starts june 23, so we'll see if pagbibigyan ako na makapasok a few days earlier.
@bodypump and chipsand

Thanks for the inputs too.

Actually since my H1B was approved when I realized the orientation date, tinanong ko agad sa lawyer kung papano ako makapasok sa US ng early. Ang sabi nya magtanong daw sa consul kung pwede ayusin. (Since mas mahirap magpaayos ulit ng H1B sa USCIS)

So, during my interview, I gathered up the courage to ask the consul (I got the nice guy kasi), and he told me that he can't do anything about it, because it is entirely up to the border official evaluating you at the port of entry. I asked if I can show the letter, and he answered that it is entirely up to him, but they have been known to turn back people who were in too early. (Actually pinakita ko pa sa consul yung letter ng PD that I was REQUIRED to be physically in the US by June 1.

Anyway, so wala akong magawa. So I decided to call the ports of entry regarding this. So I phoned Detroit, LAX, Honolulu and Guam. (Mga alam kong ports of entry hehe). Ang nalusotan ko lang ay Honululu. Sabi ng border official mismo nakausap ko, it is really up to the official evaluating you, it's usually not a problem. But the law is the law, and you can be turned back if the official decides to send you back. Yan sabi nya. Hay, I might just play it safe nalang kakatakot. Baka magkarecord pa ako sa USCIS ng illegal entry attempt!! (meron ba nun?)

I also want to go in early. Wala pa akong tirahan, at gusto pa ng PD namin na pumasok maaga para mag rotate at mag familiar before the program starts. Anyway, I might not be able to do that because of this rule.

Hope this helps guys.
Actually pala ang advice ng consul sa akin sa embassy, if you have a valid B1/B2 they do not cancel it usually even if they approve your H1B. Pwede daw gamitin yun.

However, you would have to exit the US again and reenter on your H1B to be legally working again. Pero my visa expires na this month so di na pwede. Advice pa nga ng consul, if I really want to go early I can apply for a new B1/B2. Hindi na no!!! Haha.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »