Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About the exam-my experience. - joannitam
thanks, i think i got my answer..
basically, there is a general examination part also which includes pallor, icterus, cyanosis, clubbing, lymphadenopathy and edema... and i jus wanted to know whether we have to spend time doing tht..
hi, congrats for a successful exam.

I would like to know one thing. In the forum I saw recently about a case of emphysema. Now in opening scenario, it is definitely not written as emphysema. Then how will I differentiate from history and PE about emphysema and other lung diseases??
Hi, joannitam

Thanks for narrating ur experience in a great way. Although these all four pages are filled with questions and ur perfect answers, but I want to ask few questions more:

1. As u mentioned that the key is to know the specific questions of a specefic case, Could u please tell me how u memorize those specefic questions. Did u do that with the help of specific Mneomonic for every case OR
Just memorizing the specific questions for every case.

2. At the door before going in for ur encounter, did u write those questions( or their abbreviations) on the paper, to help as clue to ask questions.

My exam is after one week and I have read UW & FA

UR guidance will be really helpful for me.

Thanks and Good Luck for ur exams
also how detailed did you perform focussed physical exam on the particular system.how did you go abt this??
Hi, joannitam congratulations

Are all the questions the SP asked listed in FA and UW?

Thanks.
Hi, joannitam congratulations

How long did it take you to prepare? Did you try Kaplan's stuff? Did you attend the 5 day expensive course?
falcon1:

think of it this way: when you practice with your study partner you are asking questions right? well... its going to be the same thing... but sometimes with nerves and stuff... you may forget .

I tried to apply LIQOR AAA... to the cases.... if the case was a neuro case, then i tried to ask neuro questions like: headache, nausea, vomiting, changes vision, LOC...etc... if the case was a abdominal pain... LIQOR AAA... etc etc.

just make a mental list of possible questions to ask in a scenario.
FA has a list of questions you can ask depending on the cc... that is not ment to be memorized but you are going to be able to apply it, that is what we do in real life with real patients right_? ... I got a good tip from my study partner, he said: when you are in there, just act as you will act with your normal patients... ask the questions you as a doctor will ask to your patients.¨

kola

about the PE... try to practice a pattern that works for you and stick to it.
As with real patients... do:

observation
percussion
palpation
auscultation.

neuro exam... practice it a lot!
(read FA)

extremities examination:
i read FA + uw videos.

The difference is that its pretend, so TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE DOING... WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR... tell them you are going to evaluate this and that... now I will like to listen to your lungs and heart... etc etc.

If you do abdominal exam... do it gently... they will tell you OUCH just by a suttle palpation... no need to do a deep palpation.
mama...

yes, all the questions listed in the Challenging questions section are similar to the ones they asked me... not exact but similar.

caiiris....

No i did not take Kaplan course... I read UW and FA.. practiced with UW cases... it took me about 6 weeks.
neutrophil....

practice different cases... remember that the main reason of the CS is not to get the final correct diagnosis, its everything else that counts! How you ask questions, how you treat your patient, wash your hands, etc etc etc.

In an emphysema case probably you will get a persistent cough, chronic lung disease patient... or a long time smoker... you will get a better picture once you ask your questions in the HPI...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »