Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 3 in Dubai ?@!! - dolly123
Dubai Healthcare City to offer (USMLE) Step 3 Exams for the first time outside the United States
10.24.07 | No Comments
Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC), a member of Tatweer, has announced its regulatory body the Center for Health Care Planning and Quality (CPQ) has been granted permission to conduct Step 3 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) in Dubai.

This is the first time the examination will have been conducted outside the United States. USMLE™s Composite Governing Board, The National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) and the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) have all given their approval for the move.

The USMLE is a premier examination that is recognized internationally as the gold standard for medical licensing. The provision to conduct this examination in Dubai will make it possible for CPQ to further certify the quality of physicians licensed within DHCC. Steps 1 and 2 are offered in several countries, while Step 3 has so far been available to candidates in the US alone.

Saeed Al Muntafiq, Executive Chairman, Tatweer, said: ˜We are honoured by the approval from USMLE boards to allow CPQ to conduct the US Medical Licensing Examination. This is a significant milestone for DHCC, recognising its endeavour to become the region™s top healthcare provider. This decision will raise Dubai™s profile as a destination for healthcare excellence, operating to international standards.™

Ahmed Sharaf, Senior Vice President, Healthcare and Energy, Tatweer, said: ˜Offering the examination in Dubai will facilitate the procedure of selecting high quality medical professionals in the region. This will help raise healthcare standards and increase the number of accredited physicians.
The region™s healthcare sector will benefit hugely from this US-approved examination that will be conducted by CPQ in the second quarter of 2008.™

The USMLE has authorised CPQ to allow candidates who have passed Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) to take Step 3 without the usual criteria of having to clear the Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) and/or having to obtain the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates™ (ECFMG) certification. ECFMG Certification is required before appearing for Step 3 of the USMLE in the United States. However, candidates seeking CPQ license will be exempted from this requirement.

Dr. Muhadditha Al Hashimi, CEO of DHCC, said: ˜We are pleased to offer the USMLE examinations in collaboration with the National Boards of Medical Examiners. This examination, with its tough criteria, will raise the quality of healthcare personnel in the UAE and the region by standardizing the entry of such professionals.™

The NBME will also develop examinations for CPQ in core specialties such as internal medicine, family medicine, psychiatry, obstetrics and genecology, paediatrics, general surgery and, at a later date, sub speciality exams. These exams will be developed in affiliation with the American speciality boards and their societies. Testing centers will be located at the Dubai Healthcare City, and internationally recognised examination centers

Dr. Ayesha Abdullah, Chief Executive Officer of CPQ, said: ˜The USMLE and the specialty examinations will assess the clinical skills of specialty physicians on a par with international standards. The provision of the examination in DHCC is in line with CPQ™s mission to serve as the premier licensing regulatory agency in the region.™

CPQ is a regulatory body established as a joint initiative by DHCC and its strategic collaborator Harvard Medical International (HMI). It ensures high-quality patient care throughout the zone, besides offering tools and measures to healthcare providers to drive continuous improvement in the sector
can u pls share where from u got this news?
http://usmle.egmedicine.com/2007/10/24/d...ed-states/
okk dolly 123... but dhcc official website doesnt have any such indication....anyways i will call them to confirm next wk,now its holiday...
thanks...
hi guest78...
have you been able to find any insight on this news ?
just wondering.
i asked a friend in dubai to verify the same and she has not gotten back to me yet.
D
May be good for residency and praticing in US affliated hospitals in Dubai but not likely for residency and licensure in the USA.

Read the the last sentence of this paragragh: "The USMLE has authorised CPQ to allow candidates who have passed Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) to take Step 3 without the usual criteria of having to clear the Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) and/or having to obtain the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates™ (ECFMG) certification. ECFMG Certification is required before appearing for Step 3 of the USMLE in the United States. However, candidates seeking CPQ license will be exempted from this requirement". No short cuts.
actually i am looking from a different perspective

i am already done with step 1 and 2 and ecfmg certification
if step 3 here or in dubai is accepted in lieu of MOH then its one less exam and an alternate route to residency (which i might not get) ie practicing in dubai as i have many friends/relatives there
moh u will need to pass here to practice...i dont think its a tough one...for ecfmg certified people ,may be it will be only one interview for DOH ,but as fer as I know,MOH will still conduct written mcq test..
dolly,i dint call them,but will do it tomorrow itself,and let the forum know...
may be its just a proposition,will take long time to come in action and if it occurs,it will definitely help me,one less time to travel to US for exam...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »